[Filmfestivalresearch] Busan Int'l Film Festival :TBC

Dina Iordanova dina.iordanova at st-andrews.ac.uk
Tue Dec 29 13:02:55 CET 2015

Dear all,

The crisis that has been brewing with BIFF for a while (and which I had
hoped to be over) seems to have picked up now and descended to new lows.
I am not able to say precisely what are the events, but for two days now I
see on Facebook postings by Jiseok Kim that display scenes of protest and
feature photos of a variety of Asian directors who display signs in
support of BIFF and ask for the festival to be 'saved'. Apparently things
have gone worse, not better. The other person who has posted very
persuasively is Gothenburg festival's Freddy Olsson, whose posts again can
be seen on his timeline at Facebook.

I wonder if there is some subscriber to this list server who can explain
what precisely is going on?

And also if there is some sort of community behind this forum, would we
like to say something?

Greetings from Istanbul, where the somber feeling on matters regarding
festivals is pretty much the same like in South Korea, as far as I can
tell.

Dina

Dina Iordanova FRSA
Professor of Global Cinema and Creative Cultures
Director, Institute for Global Cinema and Creative Cultures (IGCCC)
http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/globalcinema
https://www.facebook.com/staigccc
Publisher, St Andrews Film Studies
University of St Andrews, Scotland