[Filmfestivalresearch] Tony Rayns open letter about BIFF

Dina Iordanova dina.iordanova at st-andrews.ac.uk
Fri Jan 29 12:50:19 CET 2016

Dear friends,

The deepening crisis at the BUSAN IFF led to all major Asian directors going into an open protests.
Tony Rayns has written an articulate open letter, the link to which I am posting here.
http://filmalert101.blogspot.com.au/2016/01/tony-rayns-writes-open-letter-to-people.html

Things that he says in my opinion are of importance far beyond the specific instance of BIFF, even though my heart is breaking to see how the achievements of this festival are being ruined by myopic aparatchicks.
It is a cautionary tale for all those, around the world, involved with festivals that are at the mercy of local politicians.

Please forward as you see fit.

Dina Iordanova FRSA
Professor of Global Cinema and Creative Cultures
Director, Institute for Global Cinema and Creative Cultures (IGCCC)
http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/globalcinema
https://www.facebook.com/staigccc
Publisher, St Andrews Film Studies
University of St Andrews, Scotland