[Filmfestivalresearch] teaching festivals: alternative assignments

Antoine Damiens a.damiens at gmail.com
Thu Sep 9 02:24:03 CEST 2021

Hi everyone,

I am teaching a MA/MFA seminar on film festivals this semester (really excited to be teaching all of your work!). A lot of my students are coming from a production background and I would love to give them the option of doing an alternative assignment (instead of a final research paper). Some of them are filmmakers and would likely be interested in doing a festival plan for their films. Does anyone here have experience with these forms of alternative assignments and, if so, would you be willing to share your guidelines / evaluation grids? I want to make sure I’m grading everyone fairly, so any tips would be appreciated! Of course, more than happy to share my syllabus / any evaluation grid I will make this semester!

Thank you so much in advance,

Warmly,

Antoine

-
Dr. Antoine Damiens (he/they)
MITACS Accelerate Postdoctoral Fellow, York University, Toronto
adamiens at yorku.ca

NECS - Feminist and Queer Research Workgroup (leader)
NECSUS - Film festival reviews section (co-editor)
Membre du Réseau québécois en études féministes (RéQEF)
Archive/Counter-archive - Knowledge mobilization officer
Instructor: FILM 6430 (York University) / FMST 635 (Concordia).

My book, LGBTQ Film Festivals: Curating Queerness <https://www.aup.nl/en/book/9789463728409/lgbtq-film-festivals>, is now available (Amsterdam University Press, 2020).