[Filmfestivalresearch] [nh] And we’re off! What’s on the agenda for day one of the festival?

New Horizons newsletter newsletter at nowehoryzonty.pl
Thu Jul 18 05:55:16 CEST 2024

And we’re off! What’s on the agenda for day one of the festival?
  11 days in Wroclaw, 18 days across Poland (via online screenings), 285 films, 25,600 minutes of screenings, dozens of meetings, music events at the Arsenal Festival Club, an expanded Art Scene, and a plethora of additional events... and we’re off! Today we officially open the 24th mBank New Horizons International Film Festival. We’re kicking things off with as many as 11 screenings, and you can cap off your day with an evening at the Arsenal Festival Club, where you can dance to music selected by Marcin Dorociński and Jan P. Matuszyński, among others.

  What will we see on the first day?
  This year’s edition of the festival will open at 6:30 pm at the New Horizons Cinema with Yorgos Lanthimos’ Kinds of Kindness (Cannes acting award for Jesse Plemonns). At 8:30 pm, the international premiere of Minghun will begin, with the filmmakers and cast, including director Jan P. Matuszyński and actor Marcin Dorociński, in attendance. On Thursday, we will also launch another installment of the Oslo/Reykjavik section with a screening of Armand by Halfdan Ullmann Tøndel, which won Best Debut at Cannes (8:00 pm), and inaugurate Alain Tanner’s retrospective with a screening of Messidor (7:30 pm). Additionally, Rose Glass and Weronika Tofilska, the director and co-writer of Love Lies Bleeding, will greet the audience at the 7:30 pm screening and participate in a post-screening discussion at the New Horizons Cinema.
  For a good start, we will also show: Miguel Gomes’ Grand Tour, awarded Best Director at Cannes (8:30 pm), Jonás Trueba’s The Other Way Around (6:00 pm and 8:00 pm), also a Cannes award-winner, On Becoming a Guinea Fowl from studio A24, recognized for directing in the Un Certain Regard section at Cannes (6:00 pm and 8:15 pm), and Agathe Riedinger’s Wild Diamond (8:15 pm), another title we’re bringing to Wroclaw straight from the Cannes Film Festival’s main competition.
  The online portion of the festival starts today at 12:00, offering nearly 100 different titles on your home screens until August 4.
  Check out the films available online
  Good music and a good deed: the first day at Arsenal
  Later in the evening (11:30 pm), we invite you to the Festival Club at the Arsenal for a set by Constanz, aka Konstancja Sawicka. In addition to her own music selection, she will spin tracks selected by Marcin Dorociński (star of Minghun) and Jan P. Matuszyński (director of Minghun). During the event, we’ll raise funds for the Shelter for Homeless Animals TOZ Wroclaw. Dance and support, support and dance! The Arsenal Festival Club opens at 8:00 pm and will feature a special gastro zone with a selection of food and drinks. Admission to the Festival Club, including the music events, is free. Entry requires showing a pass, accreditation, or a movie ticket from a given day of this year’s New Horizons festival.
  What’s in store for festival Friday?
  69 screenings at the New Horizons Cinema, the Lower Silesian Film Centre, and the inauguration of Cinema at the Market Square. The first screenings within the VR Stage, the opening of the KROKI / STEPS exhibition, the next installment of the Ambient Room, and later in the evening AGGRO B3ATS: IMMERSIVE DR1FT, a party inspired by Harmony Korine’s Aggro Dr1ft. Above all, meetings and Q&As with filmmakers, including a special session with the hero of a retrospective – Bertrand Bonello, following the screening of The Beast at 3:30 pm.
  Dress in New Horizonian style
  On you: a classic crewneck sweatshirt or hoodie, t-shirt, and perfume from Bohoboco. By your side: a festival tote. Underneath: New Horizonian socks from Many Mornings. In your hand: a mug from Zakwas. In the mug: coffee prepared in collaboration with good good and Runty Roaster. This year you can truly immerse yourself in New Horizons in many different ways. Find these treasures at the festival stores located at the New Horizons Cinema, the Lower Silesian Film Centre, the good good Concept Store, or purchase them online.
  View the festival store

  * * *
  The Oslo/Reykjavik section and Alain Tanner’s retrospective were created in collaboration with the Ministry of Development Funds and Regional Policy. This ministry oversees the use of Norway and EEA (European Economic Area) Funds from Iceland, Norway, and Liechtenstein in Poland, as well as the implementation of the Swiss-Polish Cooperation Program in Poland.