[Filmfestivalresearch] [nh] Friday at the festival

New Horizons newsletter newsletter at nowehoryzonty.pl
Fri Jul 19 01:48:24 CEST 2024

Friday at the festival
  Too long, but please do read. Our festival daily (which you have right in front of you) should, by design, be an extract of the most important information about what awaits you that day at New Horizons. Despite our best efforts, today’s agenda might resemble a Lav Diaz film in length, but that’s just because this year’s program is incredibly diverse and rich. So, let’s dive in.

  An Unfinished Film, dir. Lou Ye
  Friday in a nutshell
  On the second day of the festival, we invite you to 69 screenings at the New Horizons Cinema, the Lower Silesian Film Center, and the inauguration of Cinema at the Market Square (Perfect Days at 10:00 pm), the first screenings within the VR Stage, the opening of the KROKI / STEPS exhibition, the next installment of the Ambient Room, and in the evening AGGRO B3ATS: IMMERSIVE DR1FT, a party inspired by Harmony Korin's Aggro Dr1ft. And above all, meetings and Q&As with filmmakers, including a special session with the subject of this year’s retrospective – Bertrand Bonello, following the screening of The Beastat 3:30 pm. Today you can also pick up free tickets at the box office or reserve seats for Saturday's masterclass (4:15 pm) with the French director. The retrospective's partners are Visa and the French Institute.
  Meetings and Q&As

  Art Scene
  Let’s hit the road! Tonight at 7:00 pm, we invite you to the opening of the KROKI / STEPS exhibition. We’ll start at BWA Studio, then move on to Entropia Gallery, and finish at Krupa Gallery. These three galleries will feature works that reflect on walking or documenting the practice of wandering. In the city space, you can engage in artistic scenarios of walks, strolls, and expeditions on your own. Admission to the exhibition is free. We are pleased to co-organize the Art Scene with BWA Wroclaw.
  Let’s go, towards art
  VR Stage
  The phrase “more than cinema” has already been used in countless commercials and marketing campaigns. This time, however, we mean it: the festival's VR Stage is truly more than cinema – it's a unique immersive experience that will transport you to a whole new dimension.
  Watch and experience
  Ambient Room #8: counter/intuitive
  For the eighth time, the IP Studio space, run by the IP Group art collective, will transform into an Ambient Room environment during the festival. Using digital and analog tools, the IP Group will create an immersive experience (immersion is our middle name this year). Through a combination of light, sound, and visual interactions, you can observe how these elements affect our senses, trigger synesthetic processes, and transform our perception of reality. Join us today from 7:00 pm to 10:00 pm.
  Shall we enter?

  Amadeus Live: a screening with live music
  The 100-member ensemble of the Cracow Philharmonic Choir and the Beethoven Academy Orchestra under the baton of the esteemed Dutch conductor, Ernst van Tiel: in front of the screen. On screen: Miloš Forman's masterpiece Amadeus. All in the impressive space of the Centennial Hall. Yes,  tickets are still available! The screening is tomorrow at 8:00 pm, with gates opening at 5:45 pm (early arrival recommended).Purchase tickets online or at the venue before the event starts.
  Maestro, let's play!
  Classic & Chill by Samsung AI
  Dress code: comfortable sweatpants, slippers, and even bathrobes come into play. You’ll feel at home! You'll sit back and reminisce about the classic films you used to watch (on repeat) on VHS or catch on TV. All on an ultra-modern Samsung AI TV. Admission is free, but  make sure to pick up tickets in advance at the box office, as seating is limited.
  Chilling and watching
  Festival yoga
  Sitting through multiple screenings a day can take a toll on your back. Although we have offered an exceptionally busy program this year (Let's Go section, Art Scene in its entirety), it's important to take care of your body. That's why, in collaboration with Akademia Ruchu, we're offering yoga sessions for festival-goers every day from July 19 to 28 at 11:30 am at 47/48a Ruska Street.
  Single classes cost 25 PLN with the presentation of a pass/accreditation/festival ticket. To sign up, simply scan the QR code below, create an account, and register for a chosen day. Payment is processed through the system the site directs you to, but if you encounter issues with online payments, you can reserve a spot by phone at +48 600 389 464. Each class is limited to 25 participants. Locker rooms, showers, and mats are available on-site.
  Festival Club at the Arsenal
  Neons, demons, and techno – a unique afterparty in the rhythm of Aggro Dr1ft, co-organized by the Immersja team in celebration of their website’s second birthday. Join us for a musical journey infused with techno, trap, and dubstep, amplified by hypnotic visuals inspired by Harmony Korine's film. The dr1fting begins at midnight, but the Arsenal opens at 8:00 pm. Enjoy food, drinks, and a chill-out zone for relaxation. Admission to the Festival Club, including the music events, is free.  Just show a pass, accreditation, or a movie ticket from a given day of this year’s New Horizons festival.
  Do we dr1ft?
  Psychological support on duty at the Festival Club
  This year's Arsenal is not only a space to a) dance b) relax c) meet old friends and make new friends, but also a space to share your experiences and insights after screenings. In collaboration with ciao.wro, we are committed to the mental well-being of New Horizons attendees. We offer psychological support, sexological support, crisis intervention, and an educational partyworking booth. Find us between July 19 and 21, from 10:30 pm to 00:30 am.
  Voting for competition films: the Votemo system
  The future is now. This year we say goodbye to paper coupons, and welcome a new electronic system for voting for New Horizons International Competition films. Before the screenings of the competition films, we will display boards with a QR code on the cinema screens, while after the screenings you will find special stands in front of the auditorium, also with a QR code, which will lead you to the intuitive, easy-to-use Votemo system – the voting platform. The film that gets the most votes will be the winner of the Audience Award.
  Poster exhibition
  They delight: with creativity, bravura, and diversity of techniques. We are talking about the new generation of graphic designers, who not only continue the tradition of the Polish School of Posters, but expand the horizons of this unique art. You can admire their works on the second floor of the New Horizons Cinema, and tomorrow (Saturday) at 8:00 pm you are invited to the opening of the exhibition.
  Check out whose posters we've gathered
  Recommended places
  During New Horizons, we take care not only to satisfy your hunger for good cinema. The rich festival program goes hand in hand with Wroclaw's equally rich restaurant offer so – as every year – we recommend some of our favorite friendly restaurants and cafes, where you will find unique sets, discounts, and special festival flavors. This year we are also feeding the spirit: discounts are waiting for you in bookstores and museums.
  Enjoy! / Bon appétit!
  Dress in New Horizonian style
  On you: a classic crewneck sweatshirt or hoodie, t-shirt, and perfume from Bohoboco. By your side: a festival tote. Underneath: New Horizonian socks from Many Mornings. In your hand: a mug from Zakwas. In the mug: coffee prepared in collaboration with good good and Runty Roaster. This year you can truly immerse yourself in New Horizons in many different ways. Find these treasures at the festival stores located at the New Horizons Cinema, the Lower Silesian Film Center, the good good Concept Store, and you can purchase some of them online.
  View the festival store