[Filmfestivalresearch] [nh] Don’t stop, let’s go! Thursday at the festival

New Horizons newsletter newsletter at nowehoryzonty.pl
Thu Jul 25 01:53:43 CEST 2024

Don’t stop, let’s go! Thursday at the festival
  Evil can be tamed by movement: this is, in a nutshell, one of the leitmotifs of Olga Tokarczuk’s Flights. All the more reason not to slow down and invariably: go, go, go. Half of the festival is already behind us, but nearly 300 screenings and miles of other events are still on the horizon. The walking theme has been with us since the beginning of this year’s New Horizons, so today we remind you of the unique Let’s Go section. In it, you’ll find a dozen films: mostly premieres, but also classic works, all revolving around walking. Our guides on today’s march include Laura Citarella with Trenque Lauquen (12:45 pm), William Friedkin with Cruising (4:00 pm, followed by a discussion led by Pełna Sala), and Stefanie Kolk with Milk (10:00 pm). A good stop on the tour is also the KROKI / STEPS exhibition.

  Cruising, dir. William Friedkin
  A good rhythm is also set by Mati Diop’s cinema, which has a special place in this year’s festival program. Tonight at 9:45 pm, it’s worth heading to Benin for a screening of the Golden Bear-winning Dahomey. The Focus: Mati Diop section was covered editorially by TOK FM – we especially recommend the episode of the “Godzina kultury” podcast dedicated to this outstanding director.
  Listen to the podcast (available only in Polish)
  Thursday in a nutshell
  66 screenings at the New Horizons Cinema, the Lower Silesian Film Center, and a pre-Olympic warm-up with Chariots Of Fire as part of Cinema on the Market (10:00 pm; in partnership with Visa). There will be 13 meetings with festival guests, including a Film Discussion Club led by Pełna Sala, following the screening of Cruising (4:00 pm), and a guided tour of the Norman Leto: Proof of Concept exhibition (6:00 pm). Later in the evening, enjoy a vibrant concert by Franek Warzywa and Młody Budda, followed by karaoke at the Arsenal Festival Club (11:00 pm).
  Meetings and Q&As
  9:45 am, KNH7 – September Says, dir. Ariane Labedguest: Ariane Labed
  10:15 am, KNH9 – When the Light Breaks, dir. Rúnar Rúnarssonguest: Rúnar Rúnarsson
  1:00 pm, KNH2 – It’s Not My Film, dir. Maria Zbąskaguests: Maria Zbąska, Zofia Chabiera (actress), Marcin Sztabiński (actor), Inga Kruk (producer)
  1:15 pm, KNH3 – Moses, dir. Jenni Luhta, Lauri Luhtaguests: Jenni Luhta, Lauri Luhta
  1:15 pm, KNH6 – The Dead Remain with Their Mouth Open, dir. Fabrizio Ferraroguest: Fabrizio Ferraro
  3:45 pm, KNH4 – Black Girl, dir. Ousmane Sembène and The Women, dir. Ahmed Lallemguest: Monika Talarczyk (film expert)
  4:00 pm, KNH5 – Cruising, dir. Wiliam FreidkinFilm Discussion Club led by Pełna Sala
  4:15 pm, KNH3 – Baan, dir. Leonor Telesguest: Leonor Teles
  4:15 pm, KNH6 – Life is movement, cinema is death – biological films from WFOguest: Jakub Krakowiak (Wrocław Feature Film Studio)
  7:00 pm, KNH2 – In the Realm of the Senses, dir. Nagisa Ōshimaguest: Gō Hirasawa (Japanese cinema expert)
  7:15 pm, KNH3 – Sleeping with a Tiger, dir. Anja Salomonowitzguest: Joana Scrinzi (editor)
  7:15 pm, KNH6 – Do I Still Get on Your Nerves?, dir. Michał Szcześniakguests: Michał Szcześniak, Monika Plata (heroine appearing in the film), Mariusz Rutczyński (hero appearing in the film), Joanna Banach (producer), Przemysław Niczyporuk (cinematography), Svitlana Topor (editor)
  7:15 pm, KNH9 – Lee, dir. Ellen Kurasguests: Ellen Kuras, Paweł Edelman (cinematogrpahy)

  Chariots Of Fire, dir. Hugh Hudson
  Art Scene
  Well, come on! Between screenings, head over to the KROKI / STEPS exhibition and check out 66P – Subjective Cultural Institution, where a guided tour of the Norman Leto: Proof of Concept exhibition begins at 6:00 pm today. Also today, you can dive into the immersive experience of the Ambient Room at IP Studio (1:00 pm – 9:00 pm). We are pleased to co-organize the Art Scene with BWA Wroclaw.
  Arsenal Festival Club: Franek Warzywa and Młody Buddha | concert + karaoke
  Tonight, Franek Warzywa and Młody Buddha take the stage at the Arsenal Festival Club for a special concert dedicated to the New Horizons volunteer team. After the concert, it's your turn to shine with karaoke, showcasing your angelic voice and proving that karaoke is always a hit.
  Sing along with us
  Dress in New Horizonian style
  On you: a classic crewneck sweatshirt or hoodie, t-shirt, and perfume from Bohoboco. Underneath: New Horizonian socks from Many Mornings. In your hand: a mug from Zakwas. In the mug: coffee prepared in collaboration with good good and Runty Roaster. This year you can truly immerse yourself in New Horizons in many different ways. Find these treasures at the festival stores located at the New Horizons Cinema, the Lower Silesian Film Center, the good good Concept Store, and you can purchase some of them online.
  View the festival store

  Festival yoga
  Sitting through multiple screenings a day can take a toll on your back. Although we have offered an exceptionally busy program this year (Let's Go section, Art Scene in its entirety), it's important to take care of your body. That's why, in collaboration with Akademia Ruchu, we're offering yoga sessions for festival-goers every day until 28 at 11:30 am at 47/48a Ruska Street.
  Single classes cost 25 PLN with the presentation of a pass/accreditation/festival ticket. To sign up, simply scan the QR code, create an account, and register for a chosen day. Payment is processed through the system the site directs you to, but if you encounter issues with online payments, you can reserve a spot by phone at +48 600 389 464. Each class is limited to 25 participants. Locker rooms, showers, and mats are available on-site.

  Coffee, my great coffee....
  And so much more. This year, we're taking care of your palates in collaboration with Dominika Chomicz, chef at Sąsiedzi Bakery, and Jakub Wróblewski, known for his simple and tasty recipes on Instagram as @gotujzdiego. Together, we’ve curated a unique selection of culinary delights for you. To cool down on hot days, we recommend Fritz Cola or non-alcoholic Lech. Where can you find these treats? At the New Bistro in the New Horizons Cinema. Remember, with a special festival Visa card, each coffee at the bistro will cost only 5 PLN.
  Recommended places
  During New Horizons, we take care not only to satisfy your hunger for good cinema. The rich festival program goes hand in hand with Wroclaw's equally rich restaurant offer so – as every year – we recommend some of our favorite friendly restaurants and cafes, where you will find unique sets, discounts, and special festival flavors. This year we are also feeding the spirit: discounts are waiting for you also in bookstores and museums.
  Discounts taste better