[Filmfestivalresearch] [nh] Please stand up, the revolution is coming! Wednesday with African New Waves

New Horizons newsletter newsletter at nowehoryzonty.pl
Wed Jul 24 02:01:24 CEST 2024

Please stand up, the revolution is coming! Wednesday with African New Waves
  “There is no single cinema of Africa,” says Jan Topolski in the New Horizons Podcast. We also want to remind everyone of the well-known, crucial sentence: “Africa is not a country.” This incredibly diverse continent boasts equally diverse and rich cinematography. Trying to encapsulate this richness in one place is a daunting task, so this year, we’ve chosen a specific focus: the African New Waves section. Here, we have gathered exceptional works whose common denominator is to expand the boundaries of cinematic language, albeit in creative dialogue with local traditions. Today, we invite you to explore Sudan (Tajouj, 9:45 am), the Ivory Coast (The Woman with the Knife, 9:45 pm), and even Poland as seen through the eyes of African filmmakers (Images of Revolution, 6:45 pm + subsequent discussion), among others. Later in the evening, let’s get carried away musically with African Waves at the Arsenal Festival Club.

  A hymn on the Death of the Young, dir. Idriss Karim
  Wednesday in a nutshell
  67 screenings at the New Horizons Cinema, Lower Silesian Film Center, and Andrzej Wajda’s iconic film Ashes and Diamonds as part of Cinema at the Market Square (10:00 pm). 16 meetings with festival guests, All That Rapduring a special evening with Netflix series (7:00 pm). Discussion after (or rather: about) Images of Revolution (screening at 6:45 pm, discussion at 7:45 pm). Guided tour of the exhibition Norman Leto: Proof of Concept (6:00 pm). Later in the evening: African Waves at the Arsenal (from 11:00 pm).
  Meetings and Q&As
  9:45 am, KNH7 – Arcadia, dir. Yorgos Zois guest: Yorgos Zois
  12:30 pm, KNH9 – Do Not Expect Too Much From the End of the World, dir. Radu Jude guest: Ilinca Manolache (actor)
  12:45 pm, KNH7 – Explanation for Everything, dir. Gábor Reisz guest: Gábor Reisz
  1:00 pm, KNH2 – Night and Fog in Japan, dir. Nagisa Ōshima guest: Gō Hirasawa (Japanese cinema expert)
  1:15 pm, DCF, sala Warszawa – Every You Every Me, dir. Michael Fetter Nathansky guests: Michael Fetter Nathansky, Aenne Schwarz (actor), Virginia Martin (producer)
  1:15 pm, KNH3 – Dream Team, dir. Whitney Horn, Lev Kalman guest: Lev Kalman
  3:30 pm, KNH5 – Holy Week, dir. Andrei Cohn guest: Andrei Cohn
  4:00 pm, KNH2 – Diary of a Shinjuku Thief, dir. Nagisa Ōshima guest: Gō Hirasawa (Japanese cinema expert)
  4:15 pm, KNH6 – On the Go, dir. Julia de Castro, María G. Royo guest: Maria G. Royo
  4:15 pm, KNH9 – When the Light Breaks, dir. Rúnar Rúnarsson guest: Rúnar Rúnarsson
  4:30 pm, KNH7 – September Says, dir. Ariane Labed guest: Ariane Labed
  6:45 pm, KNH4 – Images of Revolution (set of short films) discussion after the screening with Monika Talarczyk and Magda Lipska
  7:00 pm, KNH2 – It’s Not My Film, dir. Maria Zbąska guests: Maria Zbąska, Zofia Chabiera (actor), Marcin Sztabiński (actor), Inga Kruk (producer)
  7:00 pm, KNH5 – Special evenings with Netflix series: All That Rap, dir. Piotr Szubstarski guest: Piotr Szubstarski, Piotr Jasiński (producer)
  7:00 pm, KNH8 – Swimming Home, dir. Justin Anderson guest: Justin Anderson
  7:15 pm, KNH3 – Sleeping with a Tiger, dir. Anja Salomonowitz guest: Joana Scrinzi (editor)
  Art Scene
  Go, go, go! In between screenings, head to the KROKI / STEPS exhibition, and then call by 66P – Subjective Cultural Institution, where a guided tour of the Norman Leto: Proof of Concept exhibition will begin at 6:00 pm today. We are pleased to co-organize the Art Scene with BWA Wroclaw.

  fot. Sinaubi Zawose & Pamoja Zanzibar
  Festival Club at the Arsenal: African Wave 11:00 pm Maghreb afternoons and sub-Saharan evenings 12:00 am Sinaubi Zawose & Pamoja Zanzibar (concert) 01:00 am Arabian nights and Ugandan mornings
  The expedition into African music will be in two parts. The first (Maghreb afternoons and sub-Saharan evenings) will resemble a radio program, filled with older songs, and various stories. The second (Arabian Nights and Ugandan Mornings) will transform into a DJ set featuring contemporary, even dance music. Enjoy sounds from Algeria, Mali, Sudan, Egypt, Senegal, Mauritania, Angola, and Morocco, curated by Selekta Pio’ Tka’. Additionally, the stage will feature SINAUBI ZAWOSE & PAMOJA, with Tanzanian artist Sinaubi Zawose and Polish musician and producer Radek “Bond” Bednarz, the originator of the Pamoja Zanzibar art platform.
  Swim the African Wave
  Republika Smakoszy (Republic of Foodies): tasty, healthy, and at a promotional price
  We want to make sure that while you’re satisfying your cinematic cravings (and at other times too!), you don’t forget to eat well. By “eating well,” we mean enjoying food that is tasty, nutritious, and above all, healthy. This year, we are delighted to partner with Republika Smakoszy (Republic of Foodies), a catering company providing our volunteers with wholesome and delicious meals. Their motto is, “healthy eating does not have to be monotonous and cost a fortune.” You too can order something delicious and healthy, and thanks to our partnership, you’ll receive a 15% discount on your order. To avail of this discount, simply use the code “FESTIWAL” when placing your order. This offer is valid until August 11.
  Bon appétit
  Dress in New Horizonian style
  On you: a classic crewneck sweatshirt or hoodie, t-shirt, and perfume from Bohoboco. Underneath: New Horizonian socks from Many Mornings. In your hand: a mug from Zakwas. In the mug: coffee prepared in collaboration with good good and Runty Roaster. This year you can truly immerse yourself in New Horizons in many different ways. Find these treasures at the festival stores located at the New Horizons Cinema, the Lower Silesian Film Center, the good good Concept Store, and you can purchase some of them online.
  View the festival store

  Festival yoga
  Sitting through multiple screenings a day can take a toll on your back. Although we have offered an exceptionally busy program this year (Let’s Go section, Art Scene in its entirety), it’s important to take care of your body. That’s why, in collaboration with Akademia Ruchu, we're offering yoga sessions for festival-goers every day until 28 at 11:30 am at 47/48a Ruska Street.
  Single classes cost 25 PLN with the presentation of a pass/accreditation/festival ticket. To sign up, simply scan the QR code, create an account, and register for a chosen day. Payment is processed through the system the site directs you to, but if you encounter issues with online payments, you can reserve a spot by phone at +48 600 389 464. Each class is limited to 25 participants. Locker rooms, showers, and mats are available on-site.

  Coffee, my great coffee....
  And so much more. This year, we’re taking care of your palates in collaboration with Dominika Chomicz, chef at Sąsiedzi Bakery, and Jakub Wróblewski, known for his simple and tasty recipes on Instagram as @gotujzdiego. Together, we’ve curated a unique selection of culinary delights for you. To cool down on hot days, we recommend Fritz Cola or non-alcoholic Lech. Where can you find these treats? At the New Bistro in the New Horizons Cinema. Remember, with a special festival Visa card, each coffee at the bistro will cost only 5 PLN.
  Recommended places
  During New Horizons, we take care not only to satisfy your hunger for good cinema. The rich festival program goes hand in hand with Wroclaw’s equally rich restaurant offer so – as every year – we recommend some of our favorite friendly restaurants and cafes, where you will find unique sets, discounts, and special festival flavors. This year we are also feeding the spirit: discounts are waiting for you also in bookstores and museums.
  Discounts taste better