[Filmfestivalresearch] [nh] The discreet charm of social criticism. Friday at the festival

New Horizons newsletter newsletter at nowehoryzonty.pl
Fri Jul 26 02:13:19 CEST 2024

The discreet charm of social criticism. Friday at the festival
  Creative achievements: enormous. Knowledge of his work in Poland: negligible. We are talking about Alain Tanner, one of the most momentous voices of the '68 generation, co-founder of the Swiss New Wave, reformer of domestic cinema, and an outstanding figure on the map of European cinema. To rectify this, we are excited to present a retrospective of Tanner’s work at this year’s New Horizons. This festival Friday, we encourage you to dissect bourgeois values, question the transactional nature of relationships, and expose the status quo masked by consumerism. Tooday’s trail includes In the White City (4:00 pm) and Jonah Who Will Be 25 in the Year 2000 (7:00 pm).

  In the White City, dir. Alain Tanner
  Friday in a nutshell
  68 screenings at the New Horizons Cinema and the Lower Silesian Film Center, 16 meetings with festival guests, The Big Parade at the NFM as part of the Organ Cinema series, a guided tour of the KROKI / STEPS exhibition (6:00 pm). Later in the evening: dance like a true New Horizonian at the Team Party hosted by the festival creators.
  Meetings and Q&As
  9:30 am, KNH4 – The Deliquents, dir. Rodrigo Moreno guest: Rodrigo Moreno
  10:00 am, KNH2 – Piaffe, dir. Ann Oren guest: Ann Oren
  1:00 pm, KNH2 – Greice, dir. Leonardo Mouramateus guests: Leonardo Mouramateus, Mauro Soares (actor)
  1:00 pm, KNH5 – Walls, dir. Kasia Smutniak guest: Kasia Smutniak
  1:00 pm, KNH8 – Swimming Home, dir. Justin Anderson guest: Justin Anderson
  1:00 pm, KNH9 – Lee, dir. Ellen Kuras guests: Ellen Kuras, Paweł Edelman (cinematographer)
  1:15 pm, KNH3 – Moses, dir. Jenni Luhta, Lauri Luhta guests: Jenni Luhta, Lauri Luhta
  1:15 pm, KNH6 – Do I Still Get on Your Nerves?, dir. Michał Szcześniak guests: Michał Szcześniak, Monika Plata (featured in the film), Mariusz Rutczyński (featured in the film), Joanna Banach (producer), Przemysław Niczyporuk (cinematographer)
  4:00 pm, KNH2 – Where Elephants Go, dir. Cătălin Rotaru, Gabi Virginia Șarga guests: Cătălin Rotaru, Gabi Virginia Șarga, Iulia Verdeș (actor)
  4:00 pm, KNH4 – Human Surge 3, dir. Eduardo Williams guest: Eduardo Williams
  4:15 pm, KNH6 – The Dead Remain with Their Mouth Open, dir. Fabrizio Ferraro guest: Fabrizio Ferraro
  6:45 pm, KNH4 – Tajouj, dir. Gadalla Gubara guest: Ramat Musa (expert)
  7:15 pm, KNH2 – Empire of Passion, dir. Nagisa Ōshima guest: Gō Hirasawa (Japanese cinema expert)
  7:15 pm, KNH2 – Home, dir. Leonor Teles guest: Leonor Teles
  7:15 pm, KNH5 – Zinzindurrunkarratz, dir. Oskar Alegria guest: Oskar Alegria
  7:15 pm, KNH6 – Natatorium, dir.Helena Stefánsdóttir guest: Helena Stefánsdóttir

  Where Elephants Go, dir. Cătălin Rotaru, Gabi Virginia Șarga
  NFM Organ Cinema: The Big Parade
  Great cinema, great music: at 7:30 pm we invite you to the National Music Forum for a special screening of King Vidor’s The Big Parade. This 1925 gem is one of the most important films depicting the drama of World War I. The frames of this American blockbuster, featuring an all-star cast, will come alive during the screening in the Main Hall, thanks to the improvisations by organist Tomasz Orlow. Show your pass or accreditation at the NFM ticket office to receive a 20% discount on the entire NFM Organ Cinema series (while supplies last).
  Watch and listen
  Art Scene
  Walk around, take a tour! In between screenings, head over to the KROKI / STEPS exhibition (best at 6:00 pm – that’s when the curator-artist tour will begin) and additionally check out 66P – Subjective Cultural Institution, where the Norman Leto: Proof of Concept awaits (open from 2:00 pm to 6:00 pm). Also today, you can dive into the immersive experience of the Ambient Room at IP Studio (1:00 pm - 9:00 pm). We are pleased to co-organize the Art Scene with BWA Wroclaw.
  Arsenal Festival Club: New Horizons Team Party | 12:00 am
  What reigns supreme on our playlists? Come by and listen to the cinematic inspirations of the festival’s contributors – Alicja Kowalska, Ewa Szabłowska, Marcin Pieńkowski, and Patryk Straszak. The night will feature music by Soft, NADA’s Lisbon resident, delivering a mix of hard techno, acid, and trance.
  Dance like a New Horizonian
  Dress in New Horizonian style
  On you: a classic crewneck sweatshirt or hoodie, t-shirt, and perfume from Bohoboco. Underneath: New Horizonian socks from Many Mornings. In your hand: a mug from Zakwas. In the mug: coffee prepared in collaboration with good good and Runty Roaster. This year you can truly immerse yourself in New Horizons in many different ways. Find these treasures at the festival stores located at the New Horizons Cinema, the Lower Silesian Film Center, the good good Concept Store, and you can purchase some of them online.
  View the festival store

  Festival yoga
  Sitting through multiple screenings a day can take a toll on your back. Although we have offered an exceptionally busy program this year (Let’s Go section, Art Scene in its entirety), it’s important to take care of your body. That’s why, in collaboration with Akademia Ruchu, we're offering yoga sessions for festival-goers every day until 28 at 11:30 am at 47/48a Ruska Street.
  Single classes cost 25 PLN with the presentation of a pass/accreditation/festival ticket. To sign up, simply scan the QR code, create an account, and register for a chosen day. Payment is processed through the system the site directs you to, but if you encounter issues with online payments, you can reserve a spot by phone at +48 600 389 464. Each class is limited to 25 participants. Locker rooms, showers, and mats are available on-site.

  Coffee, my great coffee....
  And so much more. This year, we're taking care of your palates in collaboration with Dominika Chomicz, chef at Sąsiedzi Bakery, and Jakub Wróblewski, known for his simple and tasty recipes on Instagram as @gotujzdiego. Together, we’ve curated a unique selection of culinary delights for you. To cool down on hot days, we recommend Fritz Cola or non-alcoholic Lech. Where can you find these treats? At the New Bistro in the New Horizons Cinema. Remember, with a special festival Visa card, each coffee at the bistro will cost only 5 PLN.
  Recommended places
  During New Horizons, we take care not only to satisfy your hunger for good cinema. The rich festival program goes hand in hand with Wroclaw's equally rich restaurant offer so – as every year – we recommend some of our favorite friendly restaurants and cafes, where you will find unique sets, discounts, and special festival flavors. This year we are also feeding the spirit: discounts are waiting for you also in bookstores and museums.
  Discounts taste better