[Filmfestivalresearch] [nh] The end? Not at all, there’s still much to discover: Saturday at the festival

New Horizons newsletter newsletter at nowehoryzonty.pl
Sat Jul 27 01:50:54 CEST 2024

The end? Not at all, there’s still much to discover: Saturday at the festival
  The end is on the horizon, so today we spell reality and direct your attention to the beginning. The last two days of the on-site portion of the festival are ahead, but that’s still plenty of time for New Horizon discoveries. So, let’s journey through Saturday with a selection of films from emerging directors who have already made their mark as unique auteurs. Their works seek new horizons, speaking in their own voices and telling original stories. As part of Discoveries, we will present today: Rei by Tanaka Toshihiko (9:30 am),  I Saw the TV Glow by Jane Schoenbrun (4:15 pm), The Rye Horn by Jaione Camborda (7:00 pm), Julie Keeps Quiet by Leonardo Van Dijl (7:15 pm), Excursion by Una Gunjak (9:45 pm), To a Land Unknown, by Mahdi Fleifel (9:45 pm), and Brief History of a Family by Lin Jianjie (10:15 pm).
  Today at 6:30 pm, we will find out who will receive the Grand Prix, who garnered the most votes from the festival audience, and who will win the Zuzanna Jagoda Kolska Award in the Shortlist section.

  Rei, dir. Tanaka Toshihiko
  Saturday in a nutshell
  69 screenings at the New Horizons Cinema and the Lower Silesian Film Center, including the festival premiere of Magnus von Horn’s The Girl with the Needle at the Lower Silesian Film Center (1:00 pm). Join us for the awards gala (6:30 pm), followed by a screening of Frank Darabont’s cult classic The Shawshank Redemption at the Wroclaw Market Square (10:00 pm). Don’t miss the 6 meetings with festival guests throughout the day. Later in the evening, a DJ set by the duo RYSY at the Arsenal Festival Club.
  Meetings and Q&As
  1:00 pm, DCF, Warszawa – The Girl with the Needle, dir. Magnus von Horn guest: Magnus von Horn
  1:00 pm, KNH5 – Human Surge 3, dir. Eduardo Williams guest: Eduardo Williams
  1:15 pm, KNH9 – Minghun, dir. Jan P. Matuszyński guest: Jan P. Matuszyński
  3:45 pm, KNH4 – Oh, Sun!, dir. Med Hondo guest: Ramat Musa (expert)
  4:15 pm, KNH3 – Natatorium, dir.Helena Stefánsdóttir guest: Helena Stefánsdóttir
  4:15 pm, KNH5 – Zinzindurrunkarratz, dir. Oskar Alegria guest: Oskar Alegria
  6:30 pm, KNH1 – award gala + The Girl with the Needle, dir. Magnus von Horn
  Art Scene
  Hop, hop, hop, hop! Between screenings, head over to the KROKI / STEPS exhibition. Additionally, stop by the 66P – Subjective Cultural Institution, where the  Norman Leto: Proof of Concept exhibition is open from 2:00 pm to 6:00 pm. Don’t miss your chance to take one last dip into the immersive experience of the Ambient Room at IP Studio (1:00 pm – 9:00 pm). We are pleased to co-organize the Art Scene with BWA Wroclaw.
  Arsenal Festival Club: RYSY | 12:30 am
  Warsaw duo RYSY, comprised of producers Wojtek Urbański and Łukasz Stachurko, will take the stage at the Arsenal Festival Club. Their music is a combination of progressive dance rhythms built on melancholy yet catchy melodies. Join us for this concert farewell at the Arsenal, and don’t forget, you can still come by on Sunday for the final high fives.
  Drop in for the duo RYSY (we’ll also let you in solo)
  Dress in New Horizonian style
  On you: a classic crewneck sweatshirt or hoodie, t-shirt, and perfume from Bohoboco. Underneath: New Horizonian socks from Many Mornings. In your hand: a mug from Zakwas. In the mug: coffee prepared in collaboration with good good and Runty Roaster. This year you can truly immerse yourself in New Horizons in many different ways. Find these treasures at the festival stores located at the New Horizons Cinema, the Lower Silesian Film Center, the good good Concept Store, and you can purchase some of them online.
  View the festival store

  Festival yoga
  Sitting through multiple screenings a day can take a toll on your back. Although we have offered an exceptionally busy program this year (Let’s Go section, Art Scene in its entirety), it’s important to take care of your body. That’s why, in collaboration with Akademia Ruchu, we're offering yoga sessions for festival-goers – still only today and tomorrow at 11:30 am at 47/48a Ruska Street.
  Single classes cost 25 PLN with the presentation of a pass/accreditation/festival ticket. To sign up, simply scan the QR code, create an account, and register for a chosen day. Payment is processed through the system the site directs you to, but if you encounter issues with online payments, you can reserve a spot by phone at +48 600 389 464. Each class is limited to 25 participants. Locker rooms, showers, and mats are available on-site.

  Coffee, my great coffee....
  And so much more. This year, we’re taking care of your palates in collaboration with Dominika Chomicz, chef at Sąsiedzi Bakery, and Jakub Wróblewski, known for his simple and tasty recipes on Instagram as @gotujzdiego. Together, we’ve curated a unique selection of culinary delights for you. To cool down on hot days, we recommend Fritz Cola or non-alcoholic Lech. Where can you find these treats? At the New Bistro in the New Horizons Cinema. Remember, with a special festival Visa card, each coffee at the bistro will cost only 5 PLN.
  Recommended places
  During New Horizons, we take care not only to satisfy your hunger for good cinema. The rich festival program goes hand in hand with Wroclaw’s equally rich restaurant offer so – as every year – we recommend some of our favorite friendly restaurants and cafes, where you will find unique sets, discounts, and special festival flavors. This year we are also feeding the spirit: discounts are waiting for you also in bookstores and museums.
  Discounts taste better