<rmm> Follow The Money The database as a narrative form - Mediafonds at Sandberg Masterclass on New Media Storytelling

Paulien Dresscher paulien at dresscher.nl
Tue Dec 29 13:49:59 CET 2009

Follow The Money The database as a narrative form -
Mediafonds at Sandberg Masterclass on New Media Storytelling
Dec 18th, 2009 by admin

I am one of the organizers of theMediafonds at Sandberg Masterclass that
couples new media designers with traditional media directors to
experiment with innovative ways of storytelling. For the 2010 edition
we are focussing on ‘Datavisualization’, and Database Culture in a
more general way and what this might mean for the documentary format.
The Program consists of a Conference open to the general public and
aMasterclass for invited participants.
Follow The Money
The database as a narrative form
At the beginning of the twenty-first century, our lives play out in a
succession of databases and spreadsheets. Not only do we spend all day
rummaging through countless data streams like Google and Facebook;
everything we do leaves traces behind in other databases, through
public transport chip cards, supermarket club cards and electronic
medical files. The influence of databases, Excel sheets and algorithms
has never been as clearly visible as it became during the credit
crisis. The crisis cast a cold light on the fact that the global
financial system had been built on the basis of mathematical models
that attempted to quantify human behaviour. Blinded by the beauty of
impressive mathematical systems, people thought they could precisely
understand the risks of investments. Meanwhile it has become clear how
risky it is to be dependent on these.
The media world, too, is paying more attention to the ever-increasing
data streams. Data visualisation – a genre within visual culture that
depicts data streams in provocative, poetic or insightful ways – has
been booming, thanks to the growing availability of large amounts of
data and the desire to grasp ever more complex realities by visual
means. But is it always a good idea to assign such an important role
to numerical information? How can we best interpret various data in
relation to the values we consider important? And which new forms of
storytelling does data visualisation have to offer us? Will the data
film be the new documentary form?
The Mediafonds at Sandberg conference will consider the possibilities and
consequences of these developments for media producers.

http://www.martijndewaal.nl/?p=161