<rmm> Fwd: PhD position

Jan Teurlings j.a.teurlings at uva.nl
Wed Nov 24 21:12:09 CET 2010

> Vacancy: Full Time PhD position, Free University of Brussels
>

> The Centre for Ethics and the research centre IBBT-SMIT of the Free University of Brussels         (Vrije Universiteit Brussel) offer a full time PhD position in the fields of Media and Communication Studies and Philosophy. The vacancy is open for a research position of 4 years, in order to realize a PhD on virtual media, the reconfiguration of proximity and the social, cultural and moral consequences thereof. The position starts February 1st 2011, and is supervised by Prof. J. Bauwens, Prof. M. Van den Bossche and Prof. K. Verstrynge.
>

> Candidates are expected to show strong affinity with and interest in the domain of media philosophy and media sociology, and are holder of a Masters degree in Philosophy or Communication Studies. Applications are to be sent latest by January 6th 2011 to Prof. J. Bauwens or Prof. K. Verstrynge. When applying, a motivation and an elaborated vision on the theme under concern are expected to be included with the CV.
>

> Contact information:
>

> Prof. dr. J. Bauwens
>
> Dept. of Media and Communication Studies
>
> Free University of Brussels (Vrije Universiteit Brussel)
>
> Pleinlaan 2
>
> B-1050 Brusssels
>
> E-mail: jbauwens at vub.ac.be
>
> Tel.: (0032) 2-629 1829
>

> Prof. dr. K. Verstrynge
>
> Dept. of Philosophy
>
> Free University of Brussels (Vrije Universiteit Brussel)
>
> Pleinlaan 2
>
> B-1050 Brussels
>
> E-mail: karl.verstrynge at vub.ac.be
>
> Tel.: (0032) 2-629 2596
>

> Description of the research theme:
>

> The increasing virtualisation of processes of communication and interaction has important consequences for the definition and experience of proximity. In particular the reconfiguration of time and space is, according to several media-theoreticians, the crucial challenge of the ‘digital age’ (a.o. Virilio 1996; Morley 2007; Castells 2001): the accelerated speed of communication affects in a determining way the meaning of presence and absence of others, of their distance and the community they belong to (Silverstone 2007; Moores 1999).
>

> In a virtual context, the dialectical relation between distance and proximity, as a condition for genuine interpersonal relations (e.g. Levinas 1961; Bauman 1993; Silverstone 2007; Virilio 2009), is subjected to great pressure. In line with this observation, two important evolutions can be detected.

> [...]

Jan Teurlings, PhD. • Lecturer Television Studies • Department of Media and Culture • University of Amsterdam • Turfdraagsterpad 9 • 1012XT Amsterdam • The Netherlands • Tel: +31 (0)20 525 73 26 • Fax:+31 (0)20 525 45 99 • Email: j.a.teurlings at uva.nlhttp://www.mediastudies.nl

"Biography lends to death a new terror"

(Oscar Wilde)