<unlike-us> Help us test the Algorithm Observatory prototype

Ulises Mejias ulises.mejias at oswego.edu
Wed Jun 6 14:00:11 CEST 2018

Dear all,

The Algorithm Observatory
<https://oswego-dot-yamm-track.appspot.com/Redirect?ukey=1jmq29v1I4-Dtq2ipqG4zZwVW3l58tKGfE8PMZ4Kc8xU-0&key=YAMMID-14394417&link=https%3A%2F%2Falgorithmobservatory.com>
(https://algorithmobservatory.com) prototype is ready for testing, and I
was hoping you could help us.

Part media literacy project and part citizen science experiment, Algorithm
Observatory can help us understand how algorithms categorize us. This
version is only a prototype with limited functionality that works with
Facebook ads. But eventually, Algorithm Observatory will allow anyone to
study any social computing algorithm. Our hope is that educators can use it
as a learning environment.

Right now, you can help us in two ways:

First, feel free to test it by submitting reports. It's really simple. All
you need to do is fill out a survey and then upload screen captures of
Facebook ads. If you encounter any bugs, please let me know.

Second, tell your friends about Algorithm Observatory! The more people we
can get to test it, the better.

Thank you for your support.

Ulises A. Mejias
<https://oswego-dot-yamm-track.appspot.com/Redirect?ukey=1jmq29v1I4-Dtq2ipqG4zZwVW3l58tKGfE8PMZ4Kc8xU-0&key=YAMMID-14394417&link=https%3A%2F%2Fulisesmejias.com>
Associate Professor, SUNY Oswego
author of *Off the Network*
<https://oswego-dot-yamm-track.appspot.com/Redirect?ukey=1jmq29v1I4-Dtq2ipqG4zZwVW3l58tKGfE8PMZ4Kc8xU-0&key=YAMMID-14394417&link=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.upress.umn.edu%2Fbook-division%2Fbooks%2Foff-the-network>
and, with Nick Couldry, of *Colonized by Data*
<https://oswego-dot-yamm-track.appspot.com/Redirect?ukey=1jmq29v1I4-Dtq2ipqG4zZwVW3l58tKGfE8PMZ4Kc8xU-0&key=YAMMID-14394417&link=https%3A%2F%2Fcolonizedbydata.com>
(forthcoming)