<videovortex> Nicolas Carr on the YouTube economy

Geert Lovink geert at xs4all.nl
Mon Jan 29 17:20:40 CET 2007

http://www.roughtype.com/archives/2007/01/youtubes_strate.php

YouTube's strategic sharing
January 27, 2007

The BBC reports that YouTube founder Chad Hurley is confirming that the
Google-owned company will begin sharing advertising revenues with the
people who upload videos to its site: "The system would be rolled out
in a couple of months, [Hurley] said, and use a mixture of adverts,
including short clips shown ahead of the actual film." Hurley says the
plan is intended to "reward creativity." That's true, I'm sure, but
it's not the real story. There are deeper strategic reasons for the
move. Here are the four most salient ones, so far as I can see:

1. First, and most important, it provides a way to greatly expand the
advertising on the site without instigating a community rebellion. To
justify the huge amount of money Google paid for the site, YouTube
needs to begin incorporating ads into videos on a large scale. By
sharing a fraction of the resulting revenues with its members, it makes
the expansion of advertising feel like a gregarious move, aimed at
benefiting "the community" rather than exploiting it.

2. Second, it's a defensive move that will help prevent the shift of
popular videos, and their producers, to competing sites that offer
revenue-sharing programs. As Liz Gannes points out, "Revenue sharing is
something an increasing number of YouTube competitors, such as Revver,
Metacafe, and Break.com, have used to differentiate themselves from the
front-runner." If it turns out that revenue-sharing is their only
meaningful differentiation, they're going to be in big trouble once
YouTube initiates the practice. Their only recourse will be to offer
contributors a bigger slice of the ad take, and a payment war against
Google is a losing strategy. They'll get killed.

3. Third, it spurs competition among contributors to create videos that
get viewed a lot and hence generate more ad revenues and larger
payments. Reward "creativity" (ie, the production of videos that
attract a lot of viewers) with cash, and you get more of it. Social
production's fine, but when $1.65 billion is involved, crasser
incentives are sometimes necessary.

4. Fourth, and most speculatively, it prepares the way for YouTube to
exact greater commercial control over users' videos. Here's the current
language in YouTube's official terms of use: "You retain all of your
ownership rights in your User Submissions. However, by submitting the
User Submissions to YouTube, you hereby grant YouTube a worldwide,
non-exclusive, royalty-free, sublicenseable and transferable license to
use, reproduce, distribute, prepare derivative works of, display, and
perform the User Submissions in connection with the YouTube Website
..." The bold type, added by me, highlights the key points. Currently,
you don't receive any royalties from YouTube but you also don't have to
give the site exclusive rights to your video. You can post the same
video on other sites. What will be interesting to see is whether, as a
prerequisite for participating in revenue-sharing - for getting some
royalties -YouTube will require that a member give it an exclusive
license, precluding the posting of the video elsewhere. If we assume,
as I think we can, that a relatively small number of videos and video
producers will receive a disproportionate percentage of views and
generate a disproportionate amount of ad revenues, then "locking up"
that content and those producers will become increasingly important in
the years ahead. Controlling the "stars" will be as critical to YouTube
as it is to any media business. I would bet that, perhaps not
immediately but at some point in the not-too-distant future, YouTube
will demand an exclusive license in return for payment.

This is a smart strategic move on YouTube's part. It's an even smarter
move on Google's part. As for the users: Don't quit your day jobs,
guys. The money's in aggregation.