<videovortex> interview with andrew from engagemedia about new plumi release (Modified by Geert Lovink)

Geert Lovink geert at xs4all.nl
Sat Jul 14 07:34:42 CEST 2007

Subject: short interview with andrew from engagemedia about new plumi
release and more, posted on indymedia
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2007 13:05:36 +0100
From: zoe <zoe at esemplastic.net>

Interview with Andrew of  http://www.engagemedia.org, an Australian
project
to provide independent video hosting, distro, networking and more for
the
Oceania region. They have just launched Plumi, a packaged up version of
the
free and open source Zope/Python/Plone based software that can be used
create your own video publishing site.

http://www.indymedia.org.uk/en/2007/07/375740.html

With video.indymedia currently dead and googlevideo, youtube etc
dominating
the upload your own online video sector, what is the realistic future of
truly independent video online?

Well, there are many possible directions, and the newly released free,
open
source Plumi package ( http://plumi.org) aims to offer some more.

Till now, the only other effective free and open source online video
publishing platform available online has been the Broadcast Machine,
made by
(US-based) Participatory Culture Foundation. Like Engagemedia, PCF are
participants in the Transmission network of online social justice video
projects.

For a year now Transmission ( http://www.transmission.cc) participants
have
been working together to develop the tools and social networks to link
projects together, stop reinventing wheels, expand our options and
easily
enable users to upload and download the video we want, when we want....
without having to give our work to the new corporate landlords of the
online
media sector....

This ten minute interview with Andrew of Engagemedia (
http://www.engagemedia.org) was conducted in Brighton in early July
2007, as
he and the other Engagemedia Andy (responsible for early development of
IMC's original Active software) were putting the finishing touches to
the
Plone-based Plumi package, now released.

This interview will go out on London's Resonance 104.4 FM, Indymedia
Global
Reports, 10.30-11.30 pm on Mondays, in August after Resonance have
completed
their studio move to the Borough...

Networking Online Video for Social Change: http://www.transmission.cc
Films about International Financial Institutions: http://www.ifiwatch.tv
Writing on the Global Environment Facility:
http://www.newgreenorder.info
http://shootingpeople.org/cards/zoe   skype: zoeyou   yahoo: eyesonifis
zoe at esemplastic.net, eyes at ifiwatchnet.org, zoeontheroad at hotmail.com
tel: 44 (0) 20 7723 2875 uk local rate: 0845 345 0967 mobile: 44 (0)
7931
316970

"The smart way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit
the
spectrum of acceptable opinion, but allow very lively debate within that
spectrum - even encourage the more critical and dissident views. That
gives
people the sense that there's free thinking going on, while all the
time the
presuppositions of the system are being reinforced by the limits put on
the
range of the debate." Noam Chomsky