<videovortex> "we construct YouTube and we are automatically at democracy..."

Seth Keen seth.keen at rmit.edu.au
Mon Mar 3 04:52:21 CET 2008

Some notes on the DIY 24/7 video summit - all the links are available
on the blog post

http://www.sethkeen.net/blog/2008/02/29/henry-jenkins-responses-to-
the-247-diy-video-summit/

DIY 24/7 video summit plenary panel titled ‘Envisioning the Future
of DIY Video’. From the lrike Reinhard’s blog:

"Then they started out by giving their best visions of what Rheingold
called the activist question: what to do to influence the way the
institutions of democratic governance, of cultural production, of
knowledge gathering will shape the outcome of DIY media!"

Dialogue from a online video recoding by the first speaker Henry
Jenkins:

"My vision of the future would be one where everyone had the power to
participate, and where diversity was valued as central to the
enterprise so it is not that we build and they will come, it is not
that we construct YouTube and we are automatically at democracy,
there is still a struggle to be fought around democracy, it is a
struggle in terms of education in terms of teaching media literacies
skills to kids, struggle in terms of law, in terms of changing the
notion of fair use so we have strong protection on our ability to
respond to the stories that are absolutely central to our culture, it
involves changing politics, how we mobilise people who are feeling
empowered by making videos and turn them loose in the streets to
transform society…"

 From YouTube to WeTube… , Henry Jenkins blog post, February 14, 2008

"One of the things that has excited me about YouTube is the ways that
it represents a shared portal where all of these different groups
circulate their videos, thus opening up possibilities for cross-
polination. Yet, as many at the conference suggests, the mechanisms
of YouTube as a platform work to discourage the real exchange of
work. YouTube is a participatory channel but it lacks mechanisms
which might encourage real diversity or the exchange of ideas. The
Forums on YouTube are superficial at best and filled with hate speech
at worst, meaning that anyone who tries to do work beyond the
mainstream (however narrowly this is defined) is apt to face ridicule
and harrasment. The user-moderation system on YouTube, designed to
insure the best content rises to the top, follow majoritarian
assumptions which can often hide minority works from view. Perhaps
the biggest problem has to do with the way YouTube strips individual
works from their larger contexts…"

seth.keen at rmit.edu.au
http://www.sethkeen.net/blog/
http://www.networkcultures.org/videovortex/