<videovortex> Nicholas Carr on The Price of Free (in NY Times)

Geert Lovink geert at xs4all.nl
Tue Nov 24 21:33:57 CET 2009

The Price of Free
By NICHOLAS CARR

Published in the NYT on November 13, 2009
When, in late September, rumors surfaced that Comcast was trying to
buy NBC Universal from General Electric, Wall Street reacted with
dismay. Grandiose attempts to combine media production and
distribution — programming and plumbing — are nothing new in the
entertainment business, but they almost always end in disappointment.
Witness AOLTime Warner. So what in the world could be prompting the
Comcast chief executive, Brian Roberts, to start down this accursed
path?

I fear that I’m to blame.

A few months ago, while stalking the aisles of my local Best Buy, I
gave in to techno-temptation. I bought a Blu-ray player. What I didn’t
realize until I unpacked the gadget was that it does a lot more than
just spin high-definition discs. It is, as they say, Web-enabled. As
soon as I plugged it into an outlet in my living room, its built-in
WiFi antenna sniffed out my home network and logged on. The Blu-ray
player became a gateway between the Internet and my television set.

Ever since, and much to my surprise, I’ve been using the device more
to transmit Internet content than to play discs. I stream TV shows and
movies fromNetflix, music from Pandora and videos from YouTube. Beyond
my existing $11-a-month Netflix subscription, I haven’t forked out a
penny for any of this programming. It comes flowing out of the Web,
whenever I summon it, free.

My new viewing habits must make Brian Roberts very nervous. The more I
play movies and TV shows from the Web, the less I use my cable TV
service. I almost never order pay-per-view movies anymore. And I
recently canceled my premium Showtime subscription. Most of Showtime’s
best programs, including “The Tudors,” “Weeds” and “Dexter,” are
available to stream through Netflix, as are a lot of the movies
currently playing on the network. Why pay $23 a month when I can get
the stuff for almost nothing?

I have a feeling that it won’t be long before I and a whole lot of
other people start asking similar questions about pay-TV subscriptions
in general.

Until recently, the TV business was shielded from the turmoil that the
Internet has visited upon other media industries, like music and
publishing. The reason was largely a matter of network capacity.
Sending high-quality video through the Web requires a lot more
bandwidth than sending text or music, and until 2007 most Americans
lacked high-speed Internet connections at home, according to the Pew
Research Center. The Net simply wasn’t a viable alternative for
distributing the signals traditionally sent over cables or beamed down
from satellites.

That’s changing, and fast. With broadband becoming the norm and
connection speeds continuing to quicken, what has happened to music
companies and newspapers is beginning to happen to broadcast networks
and cable companies. People like me are using the Net to bypass the
customary providers of television programming, along with the ads they
show and the fees they collect.

My Blu-ray player is just the tip of the iceberg that the TV business
is about to hit. Today you can watch snippets of shows on YouTube or
entire episodes on sites like Hulu or Yahoo TV. You can view news
reports at CNN.com, sports events at ESPN360.com and documentaries at
PBS.org. You can download shows, sometimes without charge, from
Apple’s iTunes store and watch them on your iPod, iPhone or PC. Or you
can stream them through your Xbox or Wii.

Television is escaping the TV set and the cable box. We no longer
watch the tube. We watch, to borrow ex-Senator Ted Stevens’s memorable
conceit, a series of tubes.

As the technology of television changes, so, too, does the experience
of watching it. In the past, TVs often served as the focal points of
communal gatherings. Families or groups of friends would collect
around the set to watch the prime-time shows or the weekend games.
They would laugh at the sitcom slapstick, cheer for their local teams,
chat through commercials and, during the duller stretches, keep one
another from nodding off. TV may have been a vast wasteland, as Newton
Minow, the F.C.C. chairman in the Kennedy administration, said in a
speech in 1961, but at least it was a wasteland we shared.

The communal mode of TV viewing isn’t gone, but it’s becoming less
common. As screens proliferate and shrink, and as the Web allows us to
view whatever we want whenever we want, we spend more time watching
video alone. That’s one funny thing about the Internet: it’s an
extraordinarily rich communications system, but as an information and
entertainment medium, it encourages private consumption. The pictures
and sounds served up through our PCs, iPods and smart phones absorb us
deeply but in isolation. Even when we’re together today, we’re often
apart, peering into our own screens.

Television companies, desperate to protect their sources of revenue,
are trying to figure out ways to control or at least influence the
shifts in our viewing practices. If a transmission company like
Comcast — although it owns a few cable stations, Comcast’s main
business is providing cable TV, Internet and telephone service — were
to own more of the programs it distributes, it could, at least
theoretically, wield more power over how that content reaches viewers.
In buying NBC Universal, for instance, Comcast would gain a stake in
Hulu, whichNBC owns with ABC and Fox. It could impose limits or even
fees on the shows streamed through that popular Web site.

Such opportunities reveal the conflict of interest that’s built into
the TV business. The companies that supply us with pay-TV
subscriptions — not just cable operators like Comcast but telephone
companies like AT&T and Verizon— also tend to be the ones that provide
us with Internet service. By blocking or slowing certain Net
transmissions, they could shunt us toward their own programming and
prevent us from viewing alternatives, particularly free ones. If my
Internet provider degraded my Netflix signal, I would almost certainly

That scenario is not as far-fetched as it may sound. In 2007, Comcast
was caught throttling back its customers’ links to BitTorrent, a file-
sharing network often used to trade bootleg copies of TV shows and
movies. Comcast argues that heavy BitTorrent users were taking up too
much bandwidth, to the detriment of other services. Looked at another
way, Comcast was using its Web-access franchise to protect its pay-TV
franchise.

But, as the company soon found out, impinging on “net neutrality” —
the principle that Internet providers should treat all data the same —
is a good way to make enemies. Internet purists went ballistic.
Consumer advocates denounced the move. The government began an
investigation. In 2008, the F.C.C. decided that Comcast had broken its
rules, and it ordered the company not to impede access to BitTorrent
and other such services. Comcast is appealing the ruling.

Under its new chairman, the Obama-appointee Julius Genachowski, the
F.C.C. is becoming even more aggressive in defending the openness of
the Internet. Last month, it voted to begin preparing regulations
aimed at giving net neutrality the force of law. Though controversial,
the commission’s move will be welcomed by most Web users. I know that
I don’t want my Internet provider to control the sites I visit or
services I can use when I’m online. Unimpeded access to the Net has
come to feel like a right.

In the end, and whether they gobble up content producers or not,
network operators like Comcast may be fated to be in the plumbing
business. They’ll turn tidy profits by maintaining the pipes through
which we get Internet service, even if we use those pipes to bypass
their pay-TV offerings. We’ll go on gorging ourselves on free Internet
video. We, the viewers, will be the winners.

Or will we?

The smartest, most creative TV shows, from “Deadwood” to “Mad Men” to
NBC’s own “30 Rock,” tend to be the most expensive to produce. They
have large, talented casts, top-notch writers and directors, elaborate
sets and generally high production values. If the changes in our
viewing habits stanch the flow of money back to studios, producing
those kinds of programs may no longer be possible. In their place,
we’ll get more junk: dopey reality shows, cookie-cutter police dramas,
inane gab fests. The vast wasteland will become even vaster.

Even “free” has a price.

Nicholas Carr’s new book, “The Shallows: What the Internet Is Doing to
Our Brains,” will be published next spring.