<videovortex> question for the VV community from Mike Wesch

Geert Lovink geert at xs4all.nl
Wed Jan 27 09:12:50 CET 2010

From: mwesch at ksu.edu

Dear colleagues,

After several meetings with representatives at YouTube, I am in a
position to open up a discussion with them about the possibility of
them releasing additional data about their videos and users to
researchers. Before I begin this discussion, I would like to know the
types of data that you might need or want.  We have all been involved
in some project when we thought "I wish I knew ..." and then realized
that it would take a complicated screen-scrape or intensive sampling
to find a less than perfect solution while YouTube/Google holds the
data we need if they would just give it to us.   I want to make sure I
address everybody's needs when I discuss this with them, so please let
me know of any data that would be of interest to you and your
research.  I can't promise anything, but I would like to give this a
shot.

Thanks,

Mike Wesch

--