<videovortex> Dr. Strangelove's Preamble to Video Vortex #6 (Part One)

Dr. Strangelove Michael at Strangelove.com
Wed Feb 16 13:31:22 CET 2011

Greetings All,

Geert Lovink has kindly asked me to make some opening remarks on the
future on YouTube and online video at the forthcoming Video Vortex #6.

This video <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfaht3twLFo> is the first in
a series of video preambles to my opening remarks in Amsterdam this March.

In a somewhat incoherent manner I begin by suggesting that the Internet
industries and the commercial media sector may not have much control
over the future of online video.

The social significance of the screen was shaped by a very particular
types of structures in the 20th. The structures may take a back seat to
the role of the amateur in shaping video practices as we move deeper
into the crisis of capitalism.

We have to be careful to to be taken in by the corporate system's ego.

They know not what they do, but they are desperate in trying to do it.

Dr. Strangelove