<videovortex> Dr. Strangelove's Thoughts on Online Video Practices (Preamble to Video Vortex #6 (Part Four)

Dr. Strangelove Michael at Strangelove.com
Fri Feb 25 18:34:41 CET 2011

Greetings All,

I am reading through the fascinating /Video Vortex Reader II/ in
preparation for the forthcoming VV conference
<http://networkcultures.org/wpmu/videovortex/6amsterdam> and will
continue with a series of video-ramblings leading up to my presentation
in the flesh on March 11.

In this three minute video <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=US2SqFEeA-k>
I reflect on the issues of massive usage of online video and its social
relevance, its status as a niche activity, quantity versus quality, and
the excessive and, I believe, unwarranted cynicism that characterizes
some of the criticism of online video practices, and the disillusionment
with current online video practices.

I maintain
<http://www.amazon.ca/Watching-YouTube-Extraordinary-Videos-Ordinary/dp/1442610670/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1282142473&sr=8-1>
that there is an extreme explosion in the collective imaginary and in
aesthetic forms vis a vis online video.

Looking forward to an exchange of ideas around these and other themes
with you in Amsterdam!

Dr. Strangelove

Hmm, using online video to discuss online video in preparation for a
conference on online video.