<videovortex> Mundane Realities and Philosophical Excess

Dr. Strangelove Michael at Strangelove.com
Sat Feb 26 22:24:45 CET 2011

Greetings again,

In preparation for the Video Vortex #6 conference
<http://networkcultures.org/wpmu/videovortex/6amsterdam>, I have been
scanning through some of the latest research on online video.

In 2005 when I finished my look at the Internet as a new field of
cultural production in /The Empire of Mind
<http://www.amazon.com/Empire-Mind-Digital-Anti-Capitalist-Movement/dp/0802038182/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpt_2>/,
I noted that much media theory surrounding the Internet suffers from the
disease of philosophical excess -- grand pronouncements that are poorly
grounded in the actuality of media use and audience experiences.
Realizing that I too have been guilty of the occasional moment of
excess, I nonetheless find that current thinking on online video also
suffers from a fair amount of overgeneralizations and highly
theorectical claims that are poorly grounded in the contradictory and
heterogeneous field of online video practices, particularly the
domestic, the everyday, and the mundane.

Hoping to generate some video-based preconference dialogue, I offer two
more brief grand pronouncements of my own here
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ca1nVeMWQn8> and here
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDz9dKHF7wo>.

It strikes me that we should not too quickly rush off into the future of
online video studies, as we are still having great difficulty
identifying just what exactly is going on online in the present!

My wife and I are looking forward to meeting many of you at VV #6.

Dr. Strangelove