[WebCultures] Welcome!

Chris Anderson heychanders at gmail.com
Tue Sep 2 02:48:13 CEST 2014

Greetings to all on this very excellent list! And thanks so much to Michael
Stevenson for putting it together.

Just a very quick introduction for the sake of all your inboxes. My own
interest in web history primarily came out of empirical research and a
little bit of biography: from 2006-2009 I was dong research on the
Philadelphia-area media ecosystem, and how journalism was being produced
and distributed in that ecosystem (between 1997 and 2008 or so.) The more
work I did on the project, the more I realized how important the historical
aspects of the story I was trying to tell were, and just how fragile our
infrastructures for preserving that digital history seemed. And it was also
eye-opening for me to approach the "web" of 1997 as history- my
undergraduate class at Indiana University was one of the first classes to
ever have access to a graphical web browser in the history of the school,
and student email use at the school was only a new years old by then.

Looking forward to learning a great deal from all the people here.

best,

Chris Anderson

--

C.W. Anderson, PhD (Communications), <http://www.cwanderson.org>
Assistant Professor of Media Culture, College of Staten Island (CUNY)