<CPOV> Evaluating quality control of Wikipedia's feature articles

Erinc Salor esalor at gmail.com
Sun Apr 18 10:53:28 CEST 2010

There was an article from 2008 with similar focus on the 'featured article'
process and quality.
May be interesting for comparison. Details are below and can also be found
at;
http://wcx.sagepub.com/cgi/content/short/25/2/262

Patterns of Revision in Online WritingA Study of Wikipedia's Featured
Articles*John Jones*

University of Texas at Austin

This study examines the revision histories of 10 Wikipedia articles nominated
for the site's Featured Article Class (FAC), its highest quality rating, 5
of which achieved FAC and 5 of which did not. The revisions to each article
were coded, and the coding results were combined with a descriptive analysis
of two representative articles in order to determine revision patterns. All
articles in both groups showed a higher percentage of additions of new material
compared to deletions and revisions that rearranged the text. Although the
FAC articles had roughly equal numbers of content and surface revisions, the
non-FAC articles had fewer surface revisions and were dominated by content
revisions. Although the unique features of the Wikipedia environment inhibit
strict comparisons between these results and those of earlier revision studies,
these results suggest revision in this environment places unique structural
demands on writers, possibly leading to unique revision patterns.

*Key Words:* collaborative online revision • composing online • new media •
wiki • network effects • Web 2.0

Written Communication, Vol. 25, No. 2, 262-289 (2008)