::fibreculture:: Vanuatu Pacifica Initiative: Support DJ Spooky Kickstarter Campaign!!!

DJ SPOOKY email_list at djspooky.com
Wed Sep 8 15:55:08 CEST 2010

Click here to unsubscribe from DJ Spooky's list

Hey people - thanx to everyone for coming to the birthday event on
Monday. It was really heartwarming to see so many friends pop out of
the wood work. We had some of my first work from the Vanuatu Pacifica
Project up, I DJ'd all nite and had fun meeting some new faces. I
really appreciate Dame Dash's crew for being generous enough to host!

Thanx, too, to all who've donated to the Vanuatu Pacifica Project so
far! You're making real this idea of a cultural center that serves
local and visiting artists with residencies and shares digital media
and renewable energy technologies with people on Tanna so they can
share their stories with the world. As of today you've gotten us to
almost 40% of our goal of $10,000 on Kickstarter - 60% lies ahead of
us but now I feel we'll get there. I'm gratified that many of you on
the list support the goals of the project. That feels fantastic!

You're making this a really great birthday.

in peace
Paul aka DJ Spooky

A DJ, a Remote island, and a new digital media arts center:
The Vanuatu Pacifica Initiative and the Tanna Center for the Arts.

http://www.kickstarter.com

MORE ABOUT THE PROJECT:www.djspooky.com/vanuatu
DJ Spooky is a writer, an artist, and a digital media theoretician.
He's starting a digital media and contemporary arts lab on a remote
island in the South Pacific, and is setting up a kickstarter campaign
to help defray the startup costs. In tandem with islandsfirst.org, a
United Nations affiliated non-profit that focuses on the needs of
South Pacific islands, Dj Spooky plans on setting up a situation where
cultural exchange between artists from different geographies can take
time to do residencies on the island and create projects with local
artists and creatives in conjunction with an agenda that focuses on
sustainable arts practices.

The Funds – Anything you contribute will cover the construction of an
initial ‘outpost’ on-site, a feasibility assessment and design of the
first phase solar electricity systems for one village and three new
structures between now and May 2011, when our first invited artists
will arrive.

In December, local leadership, DJ Spooky, Engineers Without Borders
and the Vanuatu Pacifica Foundation have arranged for R. David Gibbs,
a New York-based solar and energy engineer with remote-location
experience, to undertake a feasibility study with local renewables
engineers, village electricians and tech trainees. The first goal is
to replace diesel generators with solar PV and thermal systems that
can power villages and initiate the design of the Tanna Center for the
Arts’ off-the-grid retreat, cultural preservation and eco-education
facility.

You've probably noticed we're starting at $10,000 here on Kickstarter
but with $20,000 we can complete the solar design phase, engage local
craftspeople to build the initial structure(s) and create an ‘outpost’
that allows us to invite collaborators from around the island and the
world to begin realizing this vision. Everybody's help with a little
or a lot is welcome, needed and much appreciated! .

DJ SPOOKY iPHONE APP WEB MIXES

DJ SPOOKY iPHONE APP
GET IT HERE

Babylonia 5000 Mix
by DJ Spooky that Subliminal Kid
You can download the mix from HERE

I made this mix with my iPhone app as a demo to show how you can beat
match, sequence, and save mixes. All the sound effects come from
customized sounds I sampled, edited, and created for the app.
//ARTIST STATEMENT AND TRACK LIST HERE

SECRET SONG iPHONE APP
GET IT HERE

Infinite Abstraktion
by DJ Spooky that Subliminal Kid
You can download the mix from HERE

JG Ballard once said "history is a stage that needs to be swept
clean." I agree. When I first heard Grand Master Flash's "Adventures
on the Wheels of Steel" from 1981, I was blown away. Afrika Bambaata's
"Death Mix" was cool, but Flash took things in a whole different
direction.
//ARTIST STATEMENT AND TRACK LIST HERE

DJ Spooky and Chuck D (Public Enemy)
Remix of By the Time I Get to Arizona

CLICK HERE TO LISTEN AND DOWNLOAD THE TRACK

In the wake of Republican Governor Jan Brewer's appalling anti-
immigrant law, me and Chuck D were rappin' and we decided to put
together an update of his classic track By The Time I get To Arizona.
Anyone who knows about hip hop from the early 90's remembers John
McCain's unwillingness to endorse creating a local version of Martin
Luther King's birthday. The update here is a 21st century look in the
rear view mirror. The cliché that "those who don't learn from the past
are doomed to repeat it" still holds sway in our hyper amnesiac
culture. I remixed D.W. Griffith's infamous film Birth of a Nation
with a bit of Public Enemy in mind, and later on, they named an e.p.
with the same name as my project. Me and Chuck D have done several
projects in the past around progressive, non knucklehead hip hop.

Please feel free to download this track and pass it around. We are the
media. Feel free to pass it around!

By the way, this is a mashup, and it's basically not really for sale.
I just took a riff from Philly Sound (www.funkadelphiarecords.com),
and flipped it. The result, is what you hear here. It's free, and
open. No $!!

in peace,
Paul aka DJ Spooky

www.djspooky.com  www.rebirthofanation.com   www.soundunbound.com   www.rhythmscience.com

9.08-10.02: North Pole
DJ Spooky journey to the North Pole at Arctic Ocean
DJ Spooky journey to the North Pole as part of the Cape Farewell
Project.
//MORE

9.11: New York, NY
Curator at Thompkins Sq. Park
DJ Spooky curates the Howl Festival dedicated to the anniversary of
Allen Ginsburg's Howl.
//MORE

10.2: Toronto, CA
Performance at Nuit Blanche
Performance of new Arctic material with Cape Farewell Canada. Green
Roof, Nathan Phillips Square, City Hall, 100 Queen St. West
//MORE

10.08-10.09: New York, NY
Vimeo Film Festival at SVA Theatre
DJ Spooky judges the Vimeo Music Awards. With David Lynch, Morgan
Spurlock, Roman Coppola, Lucy Walker and others. Events will be held
at IAC Headquarters and the SVA Theatre.
//MORE

10.9-10.10: New York, NY
Performance at Guggenheim Museum
Performance of Coup de Foudre, based on Jean Cocteau's "Blood of A
Poet" with dancer/choreographer Corey Baker and the Telos Ensemble
//MORE

10.12: Austin, TX
Sound Unbound at University of Texas
"Sound Unbound" talk at University of Texas Digital Writing and
Research Lab
//MORE

10.20: Wroclaw, Poland
Rebirth of a Nation at American Film Festival
Rebirth of a Nation at American Film Festival
//MORE

10.23: Seattle, WA
Performance at City Arts Festival
Performance with cellist Joshua Roman and other players. The Triple
Door. Plus noon "Fireside Chat" with hosts Charles Mudede and Amy O
//MORE

10.25: New York, NY
Benefit at TBA
Benefit for Vanuatu Foundation Details t.b.a.
//MORE

10.30: Chicago, IL
Show at Riviera Theater
Club show with Bassnectar
//MORE

10.31: Asheville, NC
Performance at Orange Peel
Moog Fest - at the Orange Peel
//MORE

11.6: Amsterdam, NL
Concert at SMART Project Space
SMART Project Space. Concert with Ensemble Chameleon
//MORE

11.13: Brooklyn, NY
Event at TBA
TEDx Brooklyn
//MORE

11.16-11.17: Toronto, Canada
Rebirth of a Nation at Toronto Film Festival
Rebirth of a Nation with live re-scoring, Toronto Film Festival
//MORE

11.28-11.29: Luxembourg
Performance at Rainy Days Festival
DJ Spooky performance at Rainy Days Festival
//MORE

11.30: Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Terra Nova at TBA
DJ Spooky performs Terra Nova
//MORE

12.07: Providence, RI
Sound Unbound at University of Rhode Island
DJ Spooky performance of "Sound Unbound" at the University of Rhode
Island
//MORE

DJ Spooky will be in production on a new film and book for most of the
year until 2011

SHARE THIS EMAIL

Click here to be removed from DJ Spooky's list

Music and Art Management, Inc. 9 West Walnut Street, Suite 2D,
Asheville, NC 28801