::fibreculture:: Seminar: Noortje Marres and Interface Methods

nathaniel tkacz n.tkacz at warwick.ac.uk
Mon Jun 3 14:28:58 CEST 2013

The Centre for Interdisciplinary
Methodologies<http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/cross_fac/cim/> is
pleased to invite you to a seminar (no registration necessary):

*The Associational Profiler:
*

*On co-word analysis as an interface method.*

Dr. Noortje Marres <http://www.gold.ac.uk/sociology/staff/marres/>,
Goldsmiths, University of London

4-5.30pm, Wednesday 19th June

Cowling Room, Social Sciences Building, University of Warwick

This presentation will narrate the development of an online tool for social
research, provisionally called the Associational Profiler. This
experimental tool was produced in collaboration between CSISP (The Centre
for the Study of Invention and Social Process, Goldsmiths) and DMI (The
Digital Methods Initiative, University of Amsterdam). It implements a
particular method of textual analysis, co-word analysis, online and adapts
it for the analysis of ‘issue dynamics’. Co-word analysis was developed in
the Social Studies of Science and Technology in the 1980s to locate
'pockets of innovation' in scientific literatures (Callon et al, 1983). It
is today quite widely applied in online research, as the method figures in
various applications for real-time analysis, such as Infomous and the
Twitter Streamgraph. Our aspiration, in developing the Associational
Profiler, was to move beyond the logics and methods materialized in these
former tools, in particular their narrow focus on *live content rather than
on its liveliness. *In my presentation, I will discuss whether and how the
online implementation of co-word analysis enabled critical and creative
engagement with popular online methods. I will do so through an account of
the process of tool development as well as the pilot studies we conducted
to test it, using Twitter data relating to issues of internet governance.

Nathaniel Tkacz

Assistant Professor
Centre for Interdisciplinary Methodologies
The University of Warwick

Twitter: http://twitter.com/__nate__