[Filmfestivalresearch] pre-constituted panel "Film Trade(s) and International Film Festivals" + second panel

Marijke de Valck m.devalck at uva.nl
Fri Dec 6 13:36:35 CET 2013

Dear Dorota and others,

I really like the idea of a panel on "Film Trade(s) and International Film Festivals", and your contributions all sound great. Perhaps Skadi, you and I can divide the two topics you mentioned, because both seem very relevant. I for example, would be happy to do some research on producers, festivals and screening fees, and present this as work in progress.

If Cindy is able to make it over to Milan, we'd be already with too many people for one panel (see below). My suggestion would be to see if we can adapt the workshop proposal for SCMS (also see below) to a second pre-constituted panel on a (related) topic. In addition to paper proposals by Alex and Maria-Paz, I'd be keen to include someone who is doing (or would like to do) work on the role of Unifrance. Which papers go together best we can decide once all ideas and proposal are collected.

Best wishes,
Marijke

* * *
Panels may consist of 3-4 speakers with a maximum of 20 minutes speaking time each. All presenters are obliged to provide us with a title, an abstract of max 150 words, 3-5 key bibliographical references, name of the presenter and short bio (max. 100 words).
Please submit all proposals before January 31, 2014 through the submission forms that will be accessible from January 1st at:www.necs.org. Notification will follow shortly thereafter (around February 28, 2014). The conference language is English.
Conference attendance is free, but valid NECS-membership and online registration is required to participate in the conference. Participants must register with NECS at www.necs.org and pay their fee before a proposal is submitted.
* * *
> Workshop Proposal: “Films Festivals and Markets – research approaches and challenges”
> Film markets at festivals have emerged as the principal venues where film professionals from all other the world can meet to do business. Markets must both satisfy the attendees’ demands and mix seamlessly with the rest of the festival, usually more focused on artistic extents. They imply instrumental and ritualised social relationships between exhibitors (national film funds and private companies) and visitors (buyers, festival programmers, single directors and producers) customarily regulated not only during a specific event but also from one to the next.
>
> The role of film markets at festivals arise a diverse range of questions in relation to contemporary film industries and culture: How did markets historically evolve? How do market exchanges relate to other areas of festivals? What kind of political economies are put in motion in these settings? What kind of relationships are involved between participants? How do they influence film circulation, co-production and professional networking? How can we trace their impact on regional and national cinemas?
>
> The proposed workshop aims to explore these questions, in order to promote a debate on the theoretical and methodological approaches and challenges that these markets entail for film festival studies. To achieve this, the workshop will be structured in a highly participative format. The presenters will share their research experiences and professional expertise to address some specific issues that they have encountered in main film festival markets, suggesting matters that will open the discussion with the rest of the participants, in order to provoke a stimulating and productive debate.
>

> Chair Presenters
>
> Enrico Vannucci is a PhD student at Oxford Brookes University.
>
> Maria-Paz Peirano is a Social Anthropologist from Universidad de Chile and a PhD candidate in Social Anthropology at University of Kent.
>
> Dorota Ostrowska is a lecturer in film and modern media at Birkbeck, University of London.
>
> Dr Alex Fischer specializes in analysing film festival operation. Currently Dr Fischer is in post production of his first feature film in which New Media technologies are hypothesized about and ultimately tested.
>
> Marijke de Valck is Associate Professor in the Department of Media Studies at the University of Amsterdam

Marijke de Valck, Ph.D., Associate Professsor and
Programme Director MA Preservation and Presentation of the Moving Image
University of Amsterdam, Department of Media Studies
Turfdraagsterpad 9, room 1.15A
1012 XT Amsterdam
The Netherlands
Phone: +31 20 525 3994