<unlike-us> A Corporation for Public Software?

Todd Davies davies at stanford.edu
Thu Feb 20 19:49:43 CET 2020

Hi, everyone,

An article I co-wrote with John Gastil of Penn State -- arguing for the creation of a Corporation for Public Software and its possible applications for enhancing democracy -- is now out in the new ACM journal Digital Government: Research and Practice (DGOV):

Digital Democracy: Episode IV—A New Hope*: How a Corporation for Public Software Could Transform Digital Engagement for Government and Civil Society<https://doi.org/10.1145/3342194>

Preprints of this paper came out in October on arXiv<https://arxiv.org/abs/1910.08604> and MediArXiv,<https://mediarxiv.org/2ch7x> and another article<https://knightcolumbia.org/content/the-case-for-digital-public-infrastructure> by Ethan Zuckerman with similar ideas on the funding side, although emphasizing a different set of possible applications, was published last month by the Knight First Amendment Institute at Columbia.

We are currently working with the Digital Civil Society Lab at Stanford to take some next steps in exploring this idea with policy makers, funders, and civil society representatives. Let me know if you are interested in and able to contribute to work in this area in any way, so I can add you to our list.

Todd Davies  (he/him or they/them)

email: davies at stanford.edu

web: web.stanford.edu/~davies<https://web.stanford.edu/~davies>

January 3 - March 29, 2020: