<unlike-us> 3rd Obfuscation Workshop: Call for Submissions and Participation, TU Delft, The Netherlands (Registration now open)

Seda Guerses sguerses at esat.kuleuven.be
Fri Feb 21 14:17:57 CET 2020

Hi everyone, hope you consider submitting to or joining us at the upcoming workshop on obfuscation.
Best,
Seda

Call for participation: 3rd Workshop on Obfuscation
May 11-12, 2020. Delft, The Netherlands
http://www.obfuscationworkshop.org

The 3rd Workshop on Obfuscation (WO2020)

Obfuscation strategies in the digital domain offer creative ways to evade surveillance, protect privacy, improve security by adding, rather than concealing data, with the intention of making data more ambiguous and difficult to exploit. As the digital expands into the physical, the human and the non-human, we find obfuscation also in decision-making, moral choices, coalition-making and novel forms of resistance to the increasing use of optimization in managing our every day lives.

The aim of this workshop is to foster interaction among diverse communities of research and practice interested in obfuscation. In previous sessions, the workshop focused on obfuscation as the art and science of privacy protection in contexts where actions are being monitored and analyzed by humans, organizations, or information technologies. With this new workshop we aspire to broaden the scope to think of other ways in which obfuscation may (or may not) come to serve people in situations of power asymmetries. We especially would like to include topics like adversarial machine learning, protective optimization technologies (POTs), as well as obfuscation in behavioral decision-making contexts by humans and artificial agents.

This interdisciplinary workshop convenes researchers, scientists, policy makers, developers, journalists, activists, artists and other interested parties to discuss a broad range of approaches to obfuscation, including tools, simulations and experimental methods for people to obfuscate themselves and their environments in asymmetries of power and information.

Participation guidelines
----------------------------------

WO2020 welcomes two types of participation:

-  With submission:
	* A 2-page position paper on work in progress (references not included in the page limit) OR
	* A 1-page description of an interesting use case to be discussed at the symposium (this may be an academic or policy/practice-based case) OR
	* A 2-page description of a demo, exhibit, art project (in any media) or journalistic piece relevant to the topic of obfuscation OR
	* A 1-page description of hands-on workshops or other interactive formats focusing on obfuscation

	Papers must be written in English. Participants are encouraged to submit their proposals in PDF.  Submission site is already open at https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=wo2020
	Submissions will be peer-reviewed by the workshop’s Organizing Committee and accepted based on relevance and potential to contribute to workshop discussions and goals.
	Please note that those with accepted proposals are still required to register for the workshop.

- Without submission:
	If you’re interested in attending without a submission, please note that we have a limited number of seats which will be distributed on a first come first serve basis.
	Registration will open on the 20th of February. Please visit the website for the details of the registration process.

For further details on submissions, registration, location and available funding please visit the workshop's website at obfuscationworkshop.org

Important Dates

- Registration: https://www.obfuscationworkshop.org/wo2020registration/
- Submissions due: March 6, 2020
- Notifications: March 20, 2020
- Workshop: May 11-12

Organizing committee

Ero Balsa (KU Leuven)
Caspar Chorus (Delft University of Technology)
Seda Gürses (Delft University of Technology)
Helen Nissenbaum (Cornell Tech)