<CPOV> Anonymity and Privacy

Felipe Ortega jfelipe at gsyc.es
Mon Apr 12 13:56:58 CEST 2010

On lun, 2010-04-12 at 13:46 +0200, Juliana Brunello wrote:
> I was reading an article at the new york times and came across the
> following sentence: “anonymity was a habit, not a guarantee”. It is an
> article about rethinking anonymity.
>
> http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/12/technology/12comments.html
>
> Some people feel invaded in their privacy if they have to put their real
> names on a comment, much like Wikipedians who "forget to sign" their names
> on discussion pages and have a problem with the bots who correct it.  The
> problem is that anonymous users/users with fake identities are oft the
> cause of flaming.
>
> In local everyday life, it is hard to be anonymous or keep a fake identity
> if you make a comment. I assume these users would not feel invaded in
> their privacy in this case. OR: Would they maybe just not comment on
> anything?
>
> My question is: How to deal with anonymity and privacy nowadays?

Some thoughts about the implications of this issue as for public data on
the Internet, with examples:

http://blog.felipeortega.net/2010/04/07/private-side-public-data/

Something that still puzzles me is how people still want to consider
their data private when they participate in publicly audited projects.

Regards,
Felipe.