[CPOV] Welcome to the Critical Point of View mailinglist

Geert Lovink geert at xs4all.nl
Wed Feb 3 13:20:29 CET 2010

Thanks, Jon. I see you're active on MyWikiBiz.

About MyWikiBiz:

MyWikiBiz is a new directory where you can author your legacy on the
Internet. We think you are notable, even if Wikipedia has rejected an
article about you or your enterprise as being "non-notable". With
MyWikiBiz, you create a beautiful, reader-friendly page that will get
picked up by Google, Yahoo!, and MSN Search engines.

Wikipedia entry on MyWikiBiz:

MyWikiBiz is a wiki directory that allows people and enterprises to
write about themselves. The brand began as a service creating
Wikipedia articles for paying corporations, which hibernated when the
owner of MyWikiBiz was banned from Wikipedia.[citation needed] As of
January 2010[ref], the MyWikiBiz directory contained over 53,000 pages
of content about corporations and individuals. The business is
headquartered in West Chester, Pennsylvania.[1] The site was founded
by Gregory Kohs, a market researcher.[2]
Professor Jonathan Zittrain of the Harvard Law School’s Berkman Center
for Internet & Society discussed the case of MyWikiBiz in his book The
Future of the Internet - And How to Stop It.[3] Kohs appeared on
Attack of the Show! on January 25, 2007, and discussed MyWikiBiz.[4]
Heise Online expressed a suspicion that while MyWikiBiz’s “attempted
corporate infiltration” of Wikipedia was discovered, MyWikiBiz was not
an isolated case.[5]

[edit]History and Wikipedia controversy over paid editing
Gregory Kohs and his sister started the MyWikiBiz venture in
Pennsylvania in July 2006, initially as a paid editing service,
writing content for inclusion in Wikipedia and other community-edited
sites.[6][7] The idea came from Wikipedia’s Reward Board, where
interested parties would offer cash rewards or gifts to create or
improve Wikipedia articles.[1] MyWikiBiz’s prices ranged between $49
and $99 for adding entries that conformed to Wikipedia's standards and
policies.[1] No official Wikipedia policy prohibited paid-for
contributions at the time.[8] Kohs argued that there were tens of
thousands of clearly notable companies and nonprofit organizations
unrepresented on Wikipedia.[9]

Wikipedia's Jimmy Wales called the commercialized editing
"antithetical" to Wikipedia’s mission and "absolutely unacceptable"[1]
and blocked Kohs' account from editing Wikipedia.[3] However, in
August 2006, Wales issued a "mutually beneficial" compromise[10] where
he encouraged MyWikiBiz to author and post content on a GFDL-compliant
section of MyWikiBiz.com, which could then be scraped by non-paid,
independent editors into Wikipedia and other GFDL sites.[3]

In October 2006 Wales again banned Kohs from Wikipedia, and cautioned
any business from using its services, which, according to Kohs, caused
MyWikiBiz to go into "hibernation". In late October 2006, Kohs formed
a partnership to promote and market a wiki-based directory at
Centiare.com,[1][11] but when the site's owner pulled the plug on the
site, negotiated a transfer of its contents to MyWikiBiz.com

[edit]