<Fair City Amsterdam> FW: Brief Tweede Kamer - Wet Kraken en Leegstand

jan at disroot.org jan at disroot.org
Thu Aug 22 22:47:55 CEST 2019

Een verzoek om medeondertekening dat rondgaat...

----

Subject: Brief Tweede Kamer - Wet Kraken en Leegstand
From: woonstrijd at riseup.net
Date: 22/08/2019, 13:32
To: woonstrijd at riseup.net

Dear all,

We, KSU (squatting assistance) volunteers from Amsterdam, wrote a letter
(in Dutch, attached) to the Tweede Kamer to express our opposition to
the amendment to the 2010 “Wet Kraken en Leegstand” (squatting and
vacancy law) proposed by the VVD and CDA.

The change, as the law itself, focuses on squatters, not speculants, and
would enable the authorities to make a decision on whether to evict
within three days. This threatens squatters' right to a fair hearing,
whilst doing nothing for the problems affecting the majority of the
population.

Private renting costs continue to spiral out of control, “social”
housing waiting lists grow longer and longer, and precarious living
conditions (homelessness, temporary rental contracts, and anti-squat
agreements) have become the new normal.

The law and its amendment are populist moves for political capital, and
benefit only a very small minority of people - namely those who keep
their properties empty during an extreme housing shortage.

We would like to ask any organisations and individuals who share our
anger to undersign this letter, which will be sent out to the government
and media outlets before the Tweede Kamer starts debating the amendment
at the beginning of September.

If you'd like to do so, please share it with those in your network who
may be supportive, and respond to this email (woonstrijd at riseup.net)
with names and/or organisations by Tuesday, the 27th of August to have
your signature included.

You can also submit your own opinion on the proposed amendment through
the government's public consultations portal:
https://www.internetconsultatie.nl/kraakverbod

And perhaps most importantly, if you and/or your organisation are also
facing housing struggles, then let's get organised together to support
one another.

KSUs Amsterdam