::fibreculture:: ArtAsiaPacific July/August 2011 out now

Art-Agenda art-agenda at mailer.e-flux.com
Tue Jul 5 17:00:11 CEST 2011

July 5, 2011

ArtAsiaPacific	Follow us

ArtAsiaPacific July/August 2011

Out Now

www.artasiapacific.com

Share
While most of the art world puts up its feet in July and August,
ArtAsiaPacific takes a moment to contemplate the subtle and not-so-
subtle changes swirling about us today. In this issue, AAP looks at
how artists respond to precarious histories and uncertain futures.

Ai Weiwei's recent release after his 80-day-long detention at the
hands of the Beijing police follows an overwhelming international
outcry: interest in his work is stronger than ever. As outraged
artists, curators and critics strive to disentangle Ai's occasional
outbursts of acerbic social commentary from his art in an effort to
underscore his artistic sanctity, contributing editor Andrew Cohen
argues in his feature that in fact Ai's art and politics have always
been deliberately inseparable.

The massive earthquake and tsunami that devastated northeastern Japan
in March and sparked an ongoing nuclear crisis reminds us that the
world as we know it can be upended in an instant. As Japan begins
rebuilding, managing editor Ashley Rawlings probes the unearthly
foreboding in the posters and canvases of Tadanori Yokoo, a graphic
designer-turned-painter whose practice evolved in tandem with Japan's
tumultuous decades of reconstruction immediately following World War II.

In West Asia, the Palestinian Authority's looming request for the
United Nations General Assembly to confer international recognition
onto the State of Palestine in September, draws editor-at-large HG
Masters to the work of Palestinian artists who address the conditions
of the Israeli occupation, from the construction of the separation
barrier in 2002 up to the present. Also contemplating the issues of
war, borders, exile and migration is Turkish-born Armenian conceptual
artist Sarkis. Contributing editor Marlyne Sahakian describes the
driving force behind Sarkis' work as "the idea that art has a
transformative power-both horizontally, in terms of education and
activism, but also vertically, as a way to elevate the human spirit
and transcend suffering."

In Essays, independent curator David Elliott offers a frank critique
of the state of museums in the 21st century, while Catherine Wilson
provides an unusual glimpse into recent public and private art
initiatives in Brunei. Moving away from arts funding to the
distressing trend of artistic censorship, we invite Tibetan
artistTenzing Rigdol to respond to the recent attack by Hindu
fundamentalists, who claimed that his workBollywood Buddha is
blasphemous to Buddha. This also reminds us of the death of MF Husain
on June 9, the giant of Indian modern art, who struggled against the
same insidious forces of religious fundamentalism for the last 15
years of his life, forcing him into self-imposed exile in London,
Dubai and Doha since 2006.

Among our project columns, artist Jaishri Abichandani discusses her
admiration for painter Samira Abbassy; and in our Questionnaire,
Taiwan's Lee Mingwei reveals what he is reading this summer. Reviews
include senior editor Don J. Cohn's study of the translated Chinese
digital texts that were permanently deleted by China's authorities in
Ai Weiwei's Blog: Writings, Interviews and Digital Rants 2006 –2009.

Finally, Where I Work takes AAP to the Beijing studio of Guan Wei,
just a few weeks before his unexpected eviction and the building's
razing on May 30. With bittersweet irony, we recall noticing the sound
of planes flying closely overhead, whereupon Guan remarked that his
studio, ". . . is a little less likely to be redeveloped because
Beijingers don't want to live near a flight path." Guan and other
tenants were given three days to move. The official line: the building
did not meet fire regulations.

One cannot help but wonder, if Ai Weiwei was allowed to speak freely
today, what would he be tweeting, blogging or saying in public about
the gross injustice dealt to Guan Wei and other fellow residents in
the building. And for those who remain uncertain over whether Ai is an
activist or an artist, it is worth noting that he once said, "Art is
about life. Our life is entirely political. Therefore all my art is
political."

Select articles now online in Arabic and Chinese: artasiapacific.com

Subscribe, become a Facebook fan and follow us on Twitter.

	41 Essex Street
New York City, 10002 USA	Contact
Unsubscribe