[Filmfestivalresearch] [nh] Sunday, camera, action! A day with Yvonne Rainer

New Horizons newsletter newsletter at nowehoryzonty.pl
Sun Jul 21 02:43:55 CEST 2024

Sunday, camera, action! A day with Yvonne Rainer
  Cinema is just the beginning of the journey. The life and work of Yvonne Rainer extends beyond the confines of (even the biggest) screen, so this year we are exploring this outstanding author in several different ways. First, we present the most significant films from her oeuvre with a retrospective and an installation in the New Horizons Cinema space, featuring video recordings of dance and short film forms. Second, since Yvonne couldn’t stay in one place, we’ll be out and about too. At 7:00 pm, join us at BWA Studio for a reconstruction of the famous Street Action happening – together we will march to the Museum of Architecture. There, at 8:00 pm, Ramona Nagabczyńska will present a performative lecture.

  The Man Who Envied Women, dir. Yvonne Rainer
  Sunday in a nutshell
  65 screenings at the New Horizons Cinema, Lower Silesian Film Center, and the Oscar, Golden Globe and BAFTA (!) Award-winning The Boy and the Heron as part of Cinema at the Market Square (10:00 pm). 15 meetings with festival guests, the presentation of the Krzysztof Męrtrak Awards (and a screening of a film selected by the winner), the second Monst(h)er Talks, an artist-curator tour of the KROKI / STEPS exhibition, and a Shortlist debate from Pełna Sala, discussing how to make short films outside the system and not go crazy. Later in the evening, the Festival Club stage at the Arsenal will be taken over by  Brodka x 2k88. And: Rainer, Rainer, Rainer!
  Meetings and Q&As
  9:45 am, DCF, Warszawa – The Editorial Office, dir.Roman Bondarchuk guests: Roman Bondarchuk, Darya Bassel (producer)
  12:30 pm, KNH7 – Sleep with Your Eyes Open, dir. Nele Wohlatz guests: Nele Wohlatz, Kai Jou Liao (actor)
  1:00 pm, KNH5 – Shortlist: Set 2 guests: Marcin Kluczykowski (director of Cosmos), Izabela Zubrycka (director of You River), Sonia Oleniak (director of Coral), Maciej Edelman (cinematographer of An Orange from Jaffa), Alicja Sokół (director of Cars from Ukraine), Malwina Górecka (producer and screenwriter of Forgotten Things)
  1:15 pm, KNH6 – Challenge of the Bow, dir. Łukasz Barczyk guests: Łukasz Barczyk (director), Marieta Żukowska (actor), Michał Materna (creative producer), Łukasz Gasiński (co-producer), Ignacy Ciszewski (cinematographer), Patrycja Płanik (actor, camerawoman), Andreas Horvath (music), Filip Szawernowski (sound)
  3:45 pm, DCF, Lwów – The Pleasure Is Mine, dir. Sacha Amaral guest: Sacha Amaral
  3:45 pm, KNH7 – Housekeeping for Beginners, dir. Goran Stolevski guests: Goran Stolevski, Anna Rzeźniczek (set designer)
  4:00 pm, KNH5 – 12,41 Kilometres, dir. Karolina Breguła (screened along with Werner Herzog Eats His Shoe, dir. Les Blank) guests: Karolina Breguła, Anna Nowak (heroine and co-writer), Robert Mleczko (cinematographer)
  4:00 pm, KNH6 – Freedom, dir. Tudor Giurgiu  guest: Tudor Giurgiu
  4:15 pm, KNH9 – Simona Kossak, dir. Adrian Panek guests: Adrian Panek, Sandra Drzymalska (actor), Julia Jendrysik (production management), Jakub Stolecki (cinematographer), Magdalena Kamińska (producer), Agata Szymańska (producer), Anna Kamińska (author of the book on which the film was based)
  6:45 pm, KNH3 – Touched, dir. Claudia Rorarius guest: Claudia Rorarius
  6:45 pm, KNH7 –Hoard, dir. Luna Carmoon guest: Luna Carmoon
  6:45 pm, KNH4 – Trances, dir. Ahmed El Maânouni guest: Ahmed El Maânouni
  7:00 pm, KNH2 – Endless, dir. Wojciech Puś guests: Wojciech Puś, and cast: Szymon Czacki, Magdalena Wawrzyńczak, Pierre Emö, Pat Dudek, Edmund Krempiński
  7:15 pm, DCF, Warszawa – Baby, dir. Marcelo Caetano guest: Marcelo Caetano
  7:15 pm, KNH6 – Up the River with Acid, dir. Harald Hutter (screened along with Adrian's Tears, dir. Miguel Moraes Cabral) guest: Harald Hutter
  7:15 pm, KNH9 – Julie Keeps Quiet, dir. Leonardo Van Dijl guest: Leonardo Van Dijl
  Art Scene
  Don’t sleep, walk, visit! Today at 6:00 pm, join us for another artist-curator tour of the KROKI / STEPS exhibition. Additionally, you can also immerse yourself in the Ambient Room at IP Studio between 1:00 and 8:00 pm. Participation in all events is free of charge. We are pleased to co-organize the Art Scene with BWA Wrocław.

  The Devil’s Bath, dir. Veronika Franz, Severin Fiala
  Monst(h)er Talk #2 | 2:45 pm
  Like the mythological Chimera with a lion’s head, a goat’s body, and snake’s tail, MONST(H)ER TALKS blend diverse elements, exploring topics from cinema, literature, art, feminist theory, and politics. Following select films from the Third Eye: Other Monsters section, hosts Aleksandra Nowak and Zofia Krawiec invite you to discuss the symbolism behind specific titles, the real stories they uncover, and the concept of female monstrosity and its relevance today. The first meeting starts today after the screening of The Devil’s Bath by Veronika Franz and Severin Fiala.
  The Shortlist and Pełna Sala debate: How to make independent short films without going insane? | 6:30 pm
  You’re a Polish filmmaker; you have an idea for a short film, but for various reasons, you’re unable to produce though a film school or the Munk Studio. What do you do? This question, as challenging as the toughest of RPG quests, will serve as a starting point for a discussion about altering thought patterns and overcoming limitations in creating short films. Co-organized by the Pełna Sala website, this event is a part of the Shortlist section.
  Participants of the debate:
  Natalia Grzegorzek, film producer; Malwina Górecka, producer of the Shortlist-featured Forgotten Things and member of the Nonoto Film cooperative; Ewelina Rosińska, director of Ashes By Name Is Man, screened in the Lost Lost Lost section; Szymon Witkowski, representative of the Krakow Film Commission; and Karolina Sienkiewicz, film producer and distributor.
  The discussion (in Polish) will be moderated by Shortlist curator Piotr Czerkawski and Pełna Sala editor Michał Konarski.
  Join us at Recepcja, admission is free.

  Brodka x 2k88
  Arsenal Festival Club: Brodka x 2k88 (DJ set) | 00:30 am
  One may ask: why not until now? After all, Monika Brodka should have been given the honorary title of New Horizons long ago. Her music — like our movies — transcends boundaries, drawing from a constant search for what is new, fresh, and trend-setting. At the Arsenal, we will hear her in a new guise – Brodka will present a DJ set alongside 2k88, also known as Przemysław Jankowiak, who equally deserves an honorary New Horizons badge, if only for co-founding the band Syny.
  See you there?
  Psychological support on duty at the Festival Club
  This year’s Arsenal is not only a space to a) dance b) relax c) meet old friends and make new friends, but also a space to share your experiences and insights after screenings. In collaboration with ciao.wro, we are committed to the mental well-being of New Horizons attendees. We offer psychological support, sexological support, crisis intervention, and an educational partyworking booth. You can still find us today, from 10:30 pm to 00:30 am.

  Festival yoga
  Sitting through multiple screenings a day can take a toll on your back. Although we have offered an exceptionally busy program this year (Let’s Go section, Art Scene in its entirety), it’s important to take care of your body. That’s why, in collaboration with Akademia Ruchu, we’re offering yoga sessions for festival-goers every day until 28 at 11:30 am at 47/48a Ruska Street.
  Single classes cost 25 PLN with the presentation of a pass/accreditation/festival ticket. To sign up, simply scan the QR code, create an account, and register for a chosen day. Payment is processed through the system the site directs you to, but if you encounter issues with online payments, you can reserve a spot by phone at +48 600 389 464. Each class is limited to 25 participants. Locker rooms, showers, and mats are available on-site.

  Coffee, my great coffee....
  And so much more. This year, we’re taking care of your palates in collaboration with Dominika Chomicz, chef at Sąsiedzi Bakery, and Jakub Wróblewski, known for his simple and tasty recipes on Instagram as @gotujzdiego. Together, we’ve curated a unique selection of culinary delights for you. To cool down on hot days, we recommend Fritz Cola or non-alcoholic Lech. Where can you find these treats? At the New Bistro in the New Horizons Cinema. Remember, with a special festival Visa card, each coffee at the bistro will cost only 5 PLN.

  Sleep with Your Eyes Open, dir. Nele Wohlatz
  Voting for competition films: the Votemo system
  The future is now. This year we say goodbye to paper coupons, and welcome a new electronic system for voting for New Horizons International Competition films. Before the screenings of the competition films, we will display boards with a QR code on the cinema screens, while after the screenings you will find special stands in front of the auditorium, also with a QR code, which will lead you to the intuitive, easy-to-use Votemo system – the voting platform. The film that gets the most votes will be the winner of the Audience Award.
  Recommended places
  During New Horizons, we take care not only to satisfy your hunger for good cinema. The rich festival program goes hand in hand with Wroclaw’s equally rich restaurant offer so – as every year – we recommend some of our favorite friendly restaurants and cafes, where you will find unique sets, discounts, and special festival flavors. This year we are also feeding the spirit: discounts are waiting for you also in bookstores and museums.
  Bon appétit!
  Dress in New Horizonian style
  On you: a classic crewneck sweatshirt or hoodie, t-shirt, and perfume from Bohoboco. Underneath: New Horizonian socks from Many Mornings. In your hand: a mug from Zakwas. In the mug: coffee prepared in collaboration with good good and Runty Roaster. This year you can truly immerse yourself in New Horizons in many different ways. Find these treasures at the festival stores located at the New Horizons Cinema, the Lower Silesian Film Center, the good good Concept Store, and you can purchase some of them online.
  View the festival store