[Filmfestivalresearch] [nh] Sense in the chaos of reality: Monday at the festival

New Horizons newsletter newsletter at nowehoryzonty.pl
Mon Jul 22 03:00:08 CEST 2024

Sense in the chaos of reality: Monday at the festival
  “Monday” + “joke about a difficult start to the week” = marketing hit. It’s tempting, but we’re not going to play from a stripped-down record, because festival Monday (and the entire week beginning) promises to be exciting. Today, we direct your attention to a section that breaks out of the routine and dreariness, stimulates discussion, and at the same time extends the energy of the weekend: The New Horizons International Competition. We have gathered 12 great films that draw meaning out of the chaos of reality and hold the promise of a better tomorrow. They also have the power to exorcize the past. And you can show your power as jurors by voting for your favorite films in the Votemo system (details below).

  Reas, dir. Lola Arias
  Monday in a nutshell
  63 screenings at the New Horizons Cinema, Lower Silesian Film Center, and the award-winning immortal classic Run Lola Run as part of Cinema at the Market Square (10:00 pm). 22 meetings with festival guests, the third Monst(h)er Talk, Mothers of Penguins as part of a special evening with Netflix, and an artist-curator tour of the KROKI / STEPS exhibition. Later in the evening, a class, i.e., quiz, i.e. a test from Godardowskie Igraszki (Godard’s Playground) at the Arsenal Festival Club, followed by an After After Party with a Panzer DJ set.
  Meetings and Q&As
  9:45 am, DCF, Lwów – DIRECT ACTION, dir. Guillaume Cailleau, Ben Russell guest: Guillaume Cailleau
  9:45 am, KNH7 – Pepe, dir. Nelson Carlos De Los Santos Arias guest: Nelson Carlos De Los Santos Arias
  12:45 pm, KNH3 – Animal, dir. Sofia Exarchou guest: Sofia Exarchou
  12:45 pm, KNH7 – Housekeeping for Beginners, dir. Goran Stolevski guests: Goran Stolevski, Beata Rzeźniczek (producer), Anna Rzeźniczek (set designer)
  1:00 pm, DCF, Warszawa – Simona Kossak, dir. Adrian Panek guests: Adrian Panek, Sandra Drzymalska (actor), Magdalena Kamińska (producer), Agata Szymańska (producer)
  1:00 pm, KNH2 – Endless, dir. Wojciech Puś guests: Wojciech Puś, and cast: Szymon Czacki, Magdalena Wawrzyńczak, Pierre Emö, Pat Dudek, Edmund Krempiński
  1:00 pm, KNH9 – Hoard, dir. Luna Carmoon guest: Luna Carmoon
  1:00 pm, KNH5 – 12,41 Kilometres, dir. Karolina Breguła (screened along with Werner Herzog Eats His Shoe, dir. Les Blank) guests: Karolina Breguła, Anna Nowak (heroine and co-writer), Robert Mleczko (cinematographer)
  1:15 pm, KNH6 – Ashes by Name Is Man, dir. Ewelina Rosińska (screened along with Good Night, Spain, dir. Raya Martin) guest: Ewelina Rosińska
  3:30 pm, KNH1 – Grand Tour, dir. Miguel Gomes guest: Miguel Gomes
  3:45 pm, KNH4 – Walls, dir. Kasia Smutniak guest: Kasia Smutniak
  4:00 pm, DCF, Warszawa – Twittering Soul, dir. Deimantas Narkevičius guest: Deimantas Narkevičius
  4:00 pm, KNH3 – Mademoiselle Kenopsia, dir. Denis Côté guest: Denis Côté
  4:00 pm, KNH5 – Shortlist: Set 3 guests: Agnieszka Kotulska (director of Cosmic Routine), Justyna Nowak (director of Nothing About You Scares Me), Marcjanna Lelek (director of It Rained Tomorrow Night), Julian Tałandziewicz (director of Belay), Maria Dakszewicz (director of Duck Broth)
  4:15 pm, KNH9 – Julie Keeps Quiet, dir. Leonardo Van Dijl guest: Leonardo Van Dijl
  6:30 pm, DCF, Warszawa – Silent Trees, dir. Agnieszka Zwiefka guests: Agnieszka Zwiefka, Zofia Kujawska (producer)
  6:45 pm, KNH6 – Up the River with Acid, dir. Harald Hutter (screen along with Adrian’s Tears, dir. Miguel Moraes Cabral) guest: Harald Hutter
  6:45 pm, KNH4 – Trances, dir. Ahmed El Maânouni guest: Ahmed El Maânouni
  7:00 pm, KNH5 – Special evening with Netflix: Mothers of Penguins guests: Klara Kochańska-Bajon (director), Agnieszka Kurzydło (producer), Masza Wągrocka (actor), Tomasz Tyndyk (actor), Barbara Wypych (actor)
  7:00 pm, KNH6 – Holy Week, dir. Andrei Cohn guest: Andrei Cohn
  7:15 pm, KNH6 – Sweet Dreams, dir. Ena Sendijarević guest: Ena Sendijarević
  10:00 pm, KNH5 – After, dir. Anthony Lapia guest: Anthony Lapia
  Voting for competition films: the Votemo system
  Since the competition has already been addressed, now we're calling on you as well. This year, we say goodbye to paper coupons and welcome a new electronic system for voting for New Horizons International Competition films. Before the screenings of the competition films, we will display boards with a QR code on the cinema screens, while after the screenings you will find special stands in front of the auditorium, also with a QR code, which will lead you to the intuitive, easy-to-use Votemo system – the voting platform. The film that gets the most votes will be the winner of the Audience Award.

  Yvonne Rainer
  Evening with Yvonne: performative lecture and Transmitting Trio A
  We remain faithful and steadfast in our love for Yvonne Rainer. This evening we invite you to Ramona Nagabczyńska’s performative lecture, It's Been Raining in Poland. The artist will discuss the influence of Rainer’s work on Polish choreography and dance theater, as well as on happenings and visual arts. The event will take place at the Museum of Architecture, whose ambiance evokes Rainer’s early days in New York’s desacralized Judson Memorial Church. The lecture will be accompanied by a special event: Transmitting Trio A – a public rehearsal where American dancer Sara Wookey will teach the basics of Yvonne Rainer’s iconic dance to a younger dancer, Natalia Drozd.
  Let’s dance!
  Art Scene
  Don't sleep, walk, visit! Today at 18:00 we invite you to another artist-curator tour of the KROKI / STEPS exhibition. We are pleased to collaborate with BWA Wrocław on the Art Scene.
  Monst(h)er Talk #3 | 5:30 pm
  Like the mythological Chimera with a lion’s head, a goat’s body, and snake’s tail, MONST(H)ER TALKS blend diverse elements, exploring topics from cinema, literature, art, feminist theory, and politics. Following select films from the Third Eye: Other Monsters section, hosts Aleksandra Nowak and Zofia Krawiec invite you to discuss the symbolism behind specific titles, the real stories they uncover, and the concept of female monstrosity and its relevance today. Today’s meeting starts today after After screenings of short films in the Spellbound series.
  Arsenal Festival Club 10:00 pm Godard”s Playground: a New Horizonian meme-film quiz 12:00 am After After Party: Panzer DJ set
  Can you find New Horizons around the bend? We say yes, but we much prefer asking the questions ourselves. Just like every year, Godardowskie Igraszki (Godard’s Playground) breaks into the festival’s current of attractions with a multimedia quiz on matters of both state importance and lighter fare.
  After the quiz, immerse yourself in the world of the film After (an honorable mention of last year’s competition) with its soundtrack composer. DJ Panzer – organizer of underground parties in Paris and a pillar of the capital's alternative scene – will perform at the Festival Club at the special invitation of New Horizons.
  See you at the Arsenal?

  Festival yoga
  Sitting through multiple screenings a day can take a toll on your back. Although we have offered an exceptionally busy program this year (Let's Go section, Art Scene in its entirety), it’s important to take care of your body. That’s why, in collaboration with Akademia Ruchu, we're offering yoga sessions for festival-goers every day until 28 at 11:30 am at 47/48a Ruska Street.
  Single classes cost 25 PLN with the presentation of a pass/accreditation/festival ticket. To sign up, simply scan the QR code, create an account, and register for a chosen day. Payment is processed through the system the site directs you to, but if you encounter issues with online payments, you can reserve a spot by phone at +48 600 389 464. Each class is limited to 25 participants. Locker rooms, showers, and mats are available on-site.

  Coffee, my great coffee....
  And so much more. This year, we're taking care of your palates in collaboration with Dominika Chomicz, chef at Sąsiedzi Bakery, and Jakub Wróblewski, known for his simple and tasty recipes on Instagram as @gotujzdiego. Together, we’ve curated a unique selection of culinary delights for you. To cool down on hot days, we recommend Fritz Cola or non-alcoholic Lech. Where can you find these treats? At the New Bistro in the New Horizons Cinema. Remember, with a special festival Visa card, each coffee at the bistro will cost only 5 PLN.
  Recommended places
  During New Horizons, we take care not only to satisfy your hunger for good cinema. The rich festival program goes hand in hand with Wroclaw's equally rich restaurant offer so – as every year – we recommend some of our favorite friendly restaurants and cafes, where you will find unique sets, discounts, and special festival flavors. This year we are also feeding the spirit: discounts are waiting for you also in bookstores and museums.
  Enjoy
  Dress in New Horizonian style
  On you: a classic crewneck sweatshirt or hoodie, t-shirt, and perfume from Bohoboco. Underneath: New Horizonian socks from Many Mornings. In your hand: a mug from Zakwas. In the mug: coffee prepared in collaboration with good good and Runty Roaster. This year you can truly immerse yourself in New Horizons in many different ways. Find these treasures at the festival stores located at the New Horizons Cinema, the Lower Silesian Film Center, the good good Concept Store, and you can purchase some of them online.
  View the festival store