[Filmfestivalresearch] [nh] Ignore bans, stick out our claws, and go our own way. Tuesday with the monstresses

New Horizons newsletter newsletter at nowehoryzonty.pl
Tue Jul 23 02:05:18 CEST 2024

Ignore bans, stick out our claws, and go our own way. Tuesday with the monstresses
  “Monsters are border posts, separating the acceptable from the unacceptable, what is allowed from what is forbidden. Their monstrosity is an exaggerated deviation from the norm, the mythological equivalent of a warning: Continue to pervert yourself like this, and it will stay with you forever,” Jess Zimmerman points out in her essays Women and Other Monsters: Building a New Mythology. Meanwhile, the movie monstresses inhabiting the Third Eye section shamelessly warp further, ignoring advice. Undaunted by restrictions erected before them, they ignore admonitions, stick out their claws and forge their own paths. So, take courage! Follow in the footsteps of these monstresses on Festival Tuesday. Today, you will meet: Maria in Touched (1:15 pm), Kalia in Animal (7:00 pm), Bella in Poor Things (9:45 pm), and Ira, Malin, and Ka in Dead Girls Dancing (10:15 pm).

  Dead Girls Dancing, dir. Anna Roller
  Tuesday in a nutshell
  63 screenings at New Horizons Cinema, Lower Silesian Film Center, and the outstanding Four Daughters as part of Cinema at the Market Square (10:00 pm). Numerous meetings with festival guests, Go Ahead, Brother during the special evening with Netflix series, and an artist-curator tour of the KROKI / STEPS exhibition. Later in the evening, you have a chance to win a pass to next year’s festival as part of the Watching Closely film quiz, and even later, dance and sing to the music of Talking Heads with a screening of the cult concert Stop Making Sense at the Arsenal.
  Meetings and Q&As
  12:45 pm, KNH1 – Grand Tour, dir. Miguel Gomes guest: Miguel Gomes
  12:45 pm, KN4 – Sambizanga, dir. Sarah Maldoror guest: Magda Lipska (ekspertka, kuratorka Muzeum Sztuki Nowoczesnej)
  12:45 pm, KNH7 – Sweet Dreams, dir. Ena Sendijarević guest: Ena Sendijarević
  1:15 pm, DCF, Warszawa – Twittering Soul, dir. Deimantas Narkevičius guest: Deimantas Narkevičius
  13:15, KNH6 – Cruel Story of Youth, dir. Nagisa Ōshimaguest: Gō Hirasawa (Japanese cinema expert)
  15:45, KNH7 – Arcadia, dir. Yorgos Zois guest: Yorgos Zois
  16:00, DCF, sala Lalka – Silent Trees, dir. Agnieszka Zwiefka guests: Agnieszka Zwiefka, Kacper Czubak (cinematographer), Zofia Kujawska (producer)
  4:00 pm, KNH5 – Shortlist: Set 4 guests: Klaudia Fortuniak (director of Ends and Beginnings),Lulu Pomorova (director of Everything for My Friend), Ania Płonka (director of Leben), Kinga Pudełek (director of Dog Days Are Over), Maks Rzontkowski (director of Martyr's Guidebook)
  4:15 pm, DCF, Warszawa – Baby, dir. Marcelo Caetano guest: Marcelo Caetano
  6:45 pm, KNH2 – Death by Hanging, dir. Nagisa Ōshima guest: Gō Hirasawa (Japanese cinema expert)
  6:45 pm, KNH7 – Explanation for Everything, dir. Gábor Reisz guest: Gábor Reisz
  7:00 pm, KNH5 – Special evenings with Netflix: Go Ahead, Brother, dir. Maciej Pieprzyca guests: Łukasz Dzięcioł (producer), Kacper Wysocki (writer), Anastasiia Pustovit (actor), Marcin Kowalczyk (actor)
  7:00 pm, KNH8 – Animal, dir. Sofia Exarchou guest: Sofia Exarchou
  7:15 pm, DCF, Warszawa – Every You Every Me, dir. Michael Fetter Nathansky guests: Michael Fetter Nathansky, Aenne Schwarz (actor), Virginia Martin (producer)
  7:15 pm, KNH3 – Dream Team, dir. Whitney Horn, Lev Kalman guest: Lev Kalman
  7:15 pm, KNH6 – On the Go, dir. Julia de Castro, María G. Royo guest: Maria G. Royo
  10:00 pm, KNH1 – Sasquatch Sunset, dir. David Zellner, Nathan Zellner guest: George Rush (producer)
  Art Scene
  Don’t sleep, walk, sightsee! Today at 18:00 we invite you to another artist-curator tour of the KROKI / STEPS exhibition. We are pleased to collaborate with BWA Wrocław on the Art Scene.

  Stop Making Sense, dir. Jonathan Demme
  Arsenal Festival Club: 9:30 pm Watching Closely film quiz 12:00 am Stop Making Sense
  Warm up your minds with a quiz by the friendly Watching Closely team, who will test your cinema knowledge as usual.
  Then warm up your entire body with the best concert film in the history of cinema (according to all sources). Jonathan Demme (Silence of the Lambs), renowned for his musical documentaries, comes close to perfection in transferring the excitement of stage ecstasy to the cinema screen. In Stop Making Sense, however, the task was easier: Talking Heads is a self-player. Cosmic energy, timeless style, and music that remains forever young. So, your Tuesday night plan is set: a big screen on stage at the Arsenal, and you dancing in front of it.
  Arsenal is where I want to be

  Festival yoga
  Sitting through multiple screenings a day can take a toll on your back. Although we have offered an exceptionally busy program this year (Let’s Go section, Art Scene in its entirety), it’s important to take care of your body. That's why, in collaboration with Akademia Ruchu, we're offering yoga sessions for festival-goers every day until 28 at 11:30 am at 47/48a Ruska Street.
  Single classes cost 25 PLN with the presentation of a pass/accreditation/festival ticket. To sign up, simply scan the QR code, create an account, and register for a chosen day. Payment is processed through the system the site directs you to, but if you encounter issues with online payments, you can reserve a spot by phone at +48 600 389 464. Each class is limited to 25 participants. Locker rooms, showers, and mats are available on-site.

  Coffee, my great coffee....
  And so much more. This year, we're taking care of your palates in collaboration with Dominika Chomicz, chef at Sąsiedzi Bakery, and Jakub Wróblewski, known for his simple and tasty recipes on Instagram as @gotujzdiego. Together, we’ve curated a unique selection of culinary delights for you. To cool down on hot days, we recommend Fritz Cola or non-alcoholic Lech. Where can you find these treats? At the New Bistro in the New Horizons Cinema. Remember, with a special festival Visa card, each coffee at the bistro will cost only 5 PLN.
  Recommended places
  During New Horizons, we take care not only to satisfy your hunger for good cinema. The rich festival program goes hand in hand with Wroclaw's equally rich restaurant offer so – as every year – we recommend some of our favorite friendly restaurants and cafes, where you will find unique sets, discounts, and special festival flavors. This year we are also feeding the spirit: discounts are waiting for you also in bookstores and museums.
  Enjoy!
  Dress in New Horizonian style
  On you: a classic crewneck sweatshirt or hoodie, t-shirt, and perfume from Bohoboco. Underneath: New Horizonian socks from Many Mornings. In your hand: a mug from Zakwas. In the mug: coffee prepared in collaboration with good good and Runty Roaster. This year you can truly immerse yourself in New Horizons in many different ways. Find these treasures at the festival stores located at the New Horizons Cinema, the Lower Silesian Film Center, the good good Concept Store, and you can purchase some of them online.
  View the festival store