<synthesis> Call for VideoVortex #13 Online Assembly, Exhibition & Theory Fest

Andreas Treske treske at gmail.com
Sun Feb 21 12:24:56 CET 2021

Dear all,

With the infamous VideoVortex #12 in Malta still fresh in our memory (Sept. 2019) and the production of the Video Vortex Reader #3 in mid-2020 behind us, we should come together again soon.

Video Vortex related topics refuse to fade away ;) The online video universe is expanding at an exponential rate.

That's why we propose to get together! This time online, in April/May, anticipating the next VV gathering in real life (in Trondheim, Rome, Amsterdam, or some other place) with a program of lectures, debates, screenings, exhibits, spread over several days and time zones.

Possible topics might be

- From Christchurch to the Capitol storming: Facebook, dlive and the politics of streaming
- Rare video and the political economy of crypto art
- TikTok theory in all shapes and sizes
- Defi infrastructures & payments for moving images
- Curatorial epidemics, commissioning, and programming
- Covid, zoom fatigue, privatization, and the burden of remote work
- Cancel culture and alternatives how to cope with difference and debate
- Format change and the need for new methodologies, practice turn
- Digital content on chains, licensing, tokenization, and liquid IPs
- Chroma key dreams and algorithmic visibility
- Futureless present
- Politics of recommendation, filters, glitches, and noise
- platform atmospheres and conditions
- Aerobics Revolutions
- software stagnation
- Retro Image Theory in the age of Netflix and Amazon Prime
- more from you …

You may notice a slow but steady change in topics towards ‘MoneyLab,’ away from the classic YouTube studies and algorithmic manipulation, perhaps because the mainstream picked up on this. We are no longer living in 2016.

If you like the idea and want to get involved, contact us! Together we can agree on a communication channel (Discord, email, Telegram, Signal, etc.) to proceed further.

Yours,

Andreas Treske (treske at gmail.com <mailto:treske at gmail.com>) & Geert Lovink (geert at xs4all.nl <mailto:geert at xs4all.nl>)

www.networkcultures.org/videovortex <http://www.networkcultures.org/videovortex>