<videovortex> Video Surfdom--Three Questions for DeeDee Halleck

Geert Lovink geert at xs4all.nl
Mon Dec 24 21:02:59 CET 2007

Video Surdom
Three Questions for DeeDee Halleck
By Geert Lovink

In preparation of Videovortex 2 (Amsterdam, January 18/19) I sent the
video activist and artist DeeDee Halleck (Paper Tiger TV) from New York
a few questions.

GL: How do you look at YouTube from your long media activist
perspective? So much of the earlier dreams seem to come true.

DDH: Yes, more people are able now to share their stories in electronic
form from many corners of the globe-- which enables more connections to
more places.  But I have an inherent suspicion about the contract one
agrees to on the corporate sites-- youtube or even blip. After you
post, you are giving up your right to determine the use. Who knows how
your creativity, your hard work, the good-hearted collaboration of your
friends/subjects  will be used in the future?  You won't have any say
in that!  Is this autonomy?  That's why I hope the transmission folks
come up with a good interface and some huge servers.

GL: Can we speak of a pleasure to roam around such large video
databases? Do you enjoy the abundance after so many years of hardship
(little money, heavy equipment, difficulties with distribution)?

Occasional pleasure, maybe. but overall a sort of slot machine.  The
jackpots are far between.  Distribution is still difficult.  The
infrastructure for non-commercial media is under siege all the time
now.  The great experiment in media democracy--public access-- in the
US is about to be legislated out of business by the Verizon and ATT
lobby-ests.

The  whole so-called public interest infrastructure in the US is full
of mine fields-- or perhaps it's more like a field of hungry replicant
ghouls.  From the art centers to alternative media channels to the
whole media education system.  Take USC for instance. There we have an
educational institution that feeds the creativity of its students to
the military machine.  The Department of "Defense" has taken over the
centers of media experimentation and development-- MIT and USC and many
others are basically branches of the military now.  Homeland security
is using PEG gov channels  to promote their snooping.  See anything
suspicious?  Public access channels now have news programs and
recruitment promos from many branches of military.  Join the coast
guard and secure our borders! The educational channels are running
programs for Bush's abstinence initiatives.

GL: From the conservative perspective we hear complaints about
copyright abuse and futility of the amateur. One could say that there
is not enough activist video out there. But is this really true and
would such a critique make sense?

DDH: Copyright? Well if the corporations own the distribution system
who's to worry?  What ever brings eyeballs is what they count on.  They
can take it down when the initial attraction is over. My step son in
law is a stand up comic who is sometimes on jay leno, etc.  his fans
tape him and everyone loves it. it's the best publicity Jay Leno ever
had.  They take it down when the hits level off. No, it's not the
futility of the amateur-- the amateurs are the utilty of the
professionals.  It's really a form of feudalism.  We're the serfs.
They get a big percentage of our crops. The biggest problem is the
isolation of this stuff. It is so addictive and comforting to have your
PC on your lap. How are we going to get people into the streets?

GL: Thanks, DeeDee.

(in a seperate mail she sent me the link to this YouTube video, a
message to a soldier in Iraq:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Remd2KYmW7Q)