<videovortex> What is the future of moving image? (Berlin, feb. 4-6)

Geert Lovink geert at xs4all.nl
Mon Sep 10 17:10:20 CEST 2007

/// Call for papers ///
«Yet Another Media Conference»
What is the future of moving image?

Every media student knows about the ambivalence of their topic. When
telling their friends about university, the next sentence of their
counterpart often is "And what is it exactly you do?". The term "media"
is getting more and more important in our societies, because everybody
knows that the environment is full of them. But what is media theory
and
what can it do in our reality? The international short film festival
EMERGEANDSEE and the Institute of European Media Studies from the
University of Potsdam want to close a gap and together they found «Yet
Another Media Conference». In 2008 the conference focuses on the future
of moving image and turns the Kino Babylon Berlin Mitte for two days
into a bustling campus.

Everyone knows films. Be it on a cinema screen, be it on YouTube. Visual
  Art is known by everyone. Media Theory is not, although it is just as
important. Therefore «Yet Another Media Conference» joins international
universities, to discuss, to show, to explain, to learn and to broaden
the horizon. EMERGEANDSEE sees a necessity for an international exchange
between media professors, theorists, philosophers, artists,
practitioners and students. We want to start a discussion in which
students play a major role as they are the people that will form
tomorrow's theory and praxis.

EMERGEANDSEE collects and shows young creative moving images since 2000.
At our short film festivals, we bring the public the best visual ideas
from media and design academies around the world. Filmed or animated,
narrative or artistic ? EMERGEANDSEE shows innovative ideas.
For «Yet Another Media Conference» EMERGEANDSEE is searching for media
theorists and  practitioners who want to present and discuss their
thoughts on visuality. Anything that concerns the aesthetics, formats,
concepts and genres of moving images is welcome. We would like to create
a connection between work and reflection. Apart from that, the topic of
the conference is kept deliberately broad, in order to create a vivid
forum and to allow many different views.

«Yet Another Media Conference» takes place 4-6 February 2008 in Berlin,
alongside our film festival. The event is held a few days before the
Berlinale, because we would like to offer our guests the opportunity to
visit the biggest German film festival after some days of discussion and
reception of innovative and young work.

If you can contribute your work concerning visual media, including but
not limited to

- short narratives
- analog vs. digital aesthetics
- technical convergence/convergence of genres
- future distribution

Please send us an abstract of your presentation until 1 November 2007.

Panels at the conference should consist of 20 to 30 minutes of
presentation and 20 minutes of discussion.

There are plans for a publication after the conference, most possibly a
collection of the presented papers.

Please send your abstracts as .pdf, .doc or plain text to
conference at emergeandsee.org. If you have any questions, please feel free
to contact Till Claassen at till at emergeandsee.org

Festival homepage: http://www.emergeandsee.org/
European Media Studies: http://www.emw.eu/