<videovortex> Video Addiction - A confession by Seth Keen

Seth Keen sethkeen at internode.on.net
Wed Jan 2 22:39:14 CET 2008

Video Addiction
A confession by Seth Keen

“I don’t use YouTube much…”

Video Vortex happened for me as a researcher and collaborator through
my PhD research into online video practice that I started at RMIT
University in Melbourne at the beginning of 2006. I was interested in
being part of a project that generated a current critical perspective
on what is occurring around video on the Internet. In terms of my own
research, which is project-based the Video Vortex Amsterdam
conference, the Argos forum in Brussels and the Montevideo exhibition
program provided a platform to examine online video practice from a
number of perspectives. The participants across all these events
include not only theoreticians but also hands-on practitioners
including artists, activists, hacktivists, media producers and web
developers.

Hooked on video, I have a history of contact with video practice from
early pioneering single-handed write, shoot, direct and edit TV
documentaries shot on the Hi8 format, through to previous MA research
that focused on the influences of the Internet on audiovisual
narrative structures. Examining online video directly was a natural
progression from these earlier experiences. Focusing on alternative
and independent platforms is influenced by my interest in
documentaries, the democratisation of access to production and
autonomous methods of distribution made possible by the Internet.
With the Internet, there is the potential for a diversity of content
that is not centralised like mass media. I have always remained
critical of populist genres, favouring instead avant-garde approaches
that consider both form and content in their realisation. My passion
is exploring new audiovisual territories as way to critique the
status quo. I think it is important to continually question the way
media is articulated and digested.

Craving a new direction, I made the decision as a practising TV
documentary maker to either consolidate my practice or put myself in
a position that enabled me to examine change and developments in
audiovisual practice. Teaching and researching provided a fantastic
space to pursue a position of reflection and critique. I currently
teach in a very progressive media department that has been prepared
to face up to the enormous changes occurring in media, as part of
negotiating the influences of the Internet and new digital
technologies. An integral part of the program focuses on the nexus
between practice and theory. I teach courses that engage directly
with the production and distribution of online video content.
Exposure to both the hands-on technical aspects and theoretical
context of this teaching feeds directly into my research and this topic.

There is a strong emphasis in the department and broader School of
Applied Communication I teach in towards project-based research. A
mode of research influenced by developments in this area within the
School of Architecture and Design. I have been encouraged to think
about the way that practice can be used to generate research. This
can be research through practice, research on practice and research
about practice. The Video Vortex events provide platforms to examine
and critique existing online video practice. Alongside this event the
collective videodefunct project that I am working on utilises an
iterative approach to generate new types of practice. Each prototype
is used to inform the next experiment. These hybrid vlogs critique
online video practice by examining the adaptation of video for
Internet publication and storytelling within this environment.

The research behind this conference spans almost two years through a
significant period of growth in online video practice. The topic
itself covers an enormous amount of developments at a pace that only
occurs on the Internet. A pace that can really only be managed
through a collective flexible process of inquiry. This is research
that relies on a network of people working together towards a
specific focus. Social software tools like social bookmarking and
mail lists play an integral role in this type of approach, where the
sharing and transparency of information is paramount.

It is hard to ignore the pivotal role YouTube has played in making
video the medium of the moment on the Internet. Economic success
stories like YouTube generate a flurry of copycat activity and
reappropriation as developers look for the next latest thing that
will get users flocking to their address. At the same time a website
like YouTube raises all sorts of other questions around things like
ethics, copyright and aesthetics to name a few. YouTube represents a
significant shift in how people are beginning to understand the
potential of the Internet. But, unfortunately due to the speed of
these developments and the hype, there are very few critical points
of view. It is the unnoticed small-scale alternative developments
that often provide a contradictory viewpoint. With the conference
interested in both the success and failure of YouTube, the research
has revealed many projects that respond to YouTube from a questioning
critical position. It is the close analysis of these projects that
provides crucial insights into this topic.

I don’t use YouTube much unlike some of my students who are 24-7
addicts or even a colleague who has given up TV and uses editorial
services like videosift to do long chill-out sessions after work. I
tend to work across all of the video archive websites and the
Internet in search of online video content that I think provides
useful context in my teaching and research, these I bookmark on
delicious. I think online video provides great opportunities to
distribute presentations and interviews as part of the open knowledge
mandate. These opportunities I think are still yet to be fully
realised in terms of archiving and the metadata tagging of the video
timeline as part of accessing information in smaller non-linear units
rather than in the larger traditional linear form.

What I do notice with teaching in this area is some of the issues
that students encounter with YouTube. There is very little
consciousness of the terms and conditions that YouTube imposes and
other social media websites like MySpace and Facebook. In most cases
it takes students awhile to realise that just because a website is
fashionable and seen as being successful due to popularity, that this
does not necessarily make it bona fide. Over time there is this
realisation that there are other services that may offer more for the
user in terms of respecting their rights and aesthetic needs. These
other options are often located by tuning into online discussions
that critique and lay out the pros and cons.

Somehow there is also a blindness to the aesthetic restrictions that
a website like YouTube places on producers of online video content.
YouTube has frame size, file type and compression quality control
over the video uploads which leaves no room for individual aesthetic
input from the producer. I see this as setting publishing standards,
a referral to old media like TV broadcasting. Also, it seems to early
in the development of online video to grasp the concept that online
video could move beyond the YouTube regurgitated TV-cinema model of
single-channel linear clips. Ironically, to demonstrate this point, I
heard recently that there was TV program that was broadcasting
YouTube videos in the funniest home video style. Beyond this direct
translation, I believe there are types of online video that can be
more responsive to the materialities of the Internet, exploring
linking, networked structures and other multi-channel forms of
presentation.

Understanding the friction around copyright on YouTube and more
broadly the Internet is another significant hurdle. Discussions on
copyright has produced some of the most vocal input from students, it
is a topic that attracts a lot of interest and passionate debate.
Initially, the laissez faire attitude of YouTube towards copyright is
really attractive and offers a lot of freedom. Often the most
important requirement seems to be having the option to grab a copy
and get it onto your own website or blog. Exposure to the varying
approaches towards copyright from copyleft, creative commons through
to conglomerates like Hollywood aiming for total control, raises all
sorts of questions for students who are aiming to become media
professionals. YouTube does not offer the user a choice when it comes
to being able to choose some of these alternatives, like applying
creative commons licenses for example.

A more hidden aspect is questioning the way YouTube as a commercial
enterprise utilises creative labour for economic gain. The huge
financial success of YouTube and other websites like MySpace for
example have brought more attention onto this issue. But, from what I
can tell, for the moment, this is restricted to a minority of
theorists rather than becoming a significant public debate. It is
intriguing that all the creative activities from making, uploading to
favourite lists and beyond are all taking place under one roof, like
a factory plant. A minority of owners at one centralised address have
the power to remove users and their content. But, these websites
offer free storage space, along with the prospect of public exposure
and possible celebrity status. These attractive qualities for users
often overshadow the economic inquiry.

sethkeen at internode.on.net
http://www.sethkeen.net/blog/
http://www.networkcultures.org/videovortex/