<videovortex> found channels: slum-tv.info

Geert Lovink geert at xs4all.nl
Sat Jan 26 18:45:03 CET 2008

http://www.slum-tv.info/

In 2006, during our stay in Kenya in the framework of the
Group-exhibition “economy class” at the Alliance Francaise in Nairobi
(http://economyclass.sonance.net/) we managed to establish a very
productive cooperation with the artists and photographers Sam Hopkins,
Fred Otieno and Julius Mwelu. Together we documented and realised Lukas
Pusch’s Performance “Vienna Voodoo”, which was done in Mathare. Mathare
is the biggest slum in Kenya with approximately 700 000 inhabitants
without electricity, running water and a sewage system. During our
filming, Fred and Julius told us about the premiere of a German
documentary movie for which they had done the camera work two years
earlier. Suddenly they became sad and thought that this is odd because
approximately one third of the people appearing in the film, have died
in the meantime; and the movie is their only memory.

The foundation of SLUM-TV SLUM-TV wants to documents the lives of the
people in the slum and to reevaluate these lives through the camera. A
camera always attracts attention. Our partners from the slum film and
document the life in Mathare. The small movies are then shown in public
places in Mathare, like a newsreel. In Mathare, there exist a variety
of self-established cinemas. Mostly American and African films and
European football is shown there. Analogous to weekly news-shows in the
early age of television our partners want to show their contributions
in these cinemas, and maybe to charge a small entree fee in order to
finance videotapes and other material.

Copies of the videos are sent to Vienna. We will also try to distribute
them under “Creative Common” licenses. That means non profit orientated
community TV’s could use material for free, but has to name authors.
All other users would have to pay. From the proceeds the manufacturers
in the slums benefit again. Technical infrastructure + Workshop Our
next goal is to purchase two video-cameras, a computer and a
video-projector, and to donate the technical infrastructure to our
partners (Fred Otieno, Julius Mwelu und Sam Hopkins). A
two-weeks-workshop shall follow in order to teach the editing and
cutting of digital video.

Supervision: Lukas Pusch and Alexander Nikolic
Digital archive and European partners

The results of the Workshops will be presented in Vienna, and also
streamed in the internet. From April 2007 on we will develop a digital
video-data base which will be organised as a network of local
contributors; i.e. users from Mathare can upload their videofiles, and
organise their own archive to control and build it. The transfer of the
video-documents will be handled through normal snail mail. As these
goals are still a perspective for the future this process might take a
few years to work out; Our local partners and their local context

In Mathare Julius Mwelu and Fred Otieno are active in the MYSA
Organisation (Mathare Youth Sport Association).

MYSA is an outstanding organisation in Mathare that has been active for
more than 20 years. Its major task is to organise and offer a
multiplicity of activities. The most successful project is football,
with approx. 1200 soccer teams a quarter of which are woman teams. With
soccer the whole MYSA Project started, and meanwhile many players
managed to be nominated and to play for the Kenyan National soccer
team. Besides the fact that young people get an opportunity for sports
and many people from Mathare can make a living out of the
professionally organised Soccer Team some players were even sold to the
French Premiere League lately; retired players work as coaches and are
responsible for the youth’s teams. There are many other positive side
effects as sports also serves as one of the best Aids preventions. And
the successful participation of the women’s soccer team at the World
Championship in Norway where they ranked third raised their prestige
within Mathare. It made the young women prouder and as they are well
trained, men’s behaviour towards them changed significantly.

This year a team from the MYSA-project won the Street-Soccer-WM in
Berlin.

Since a few years the agenda of the MYSA office has been extended to
include also art, dance, theatre and music sections. Similar projects
are going to be set up in Botswana, Tanzania and other African
countries which makes it a very appropriate partner for the slum-tv
project.