<videovortex> How streaming video changed the shape of the internet — Quartz

Dr. Strangelove Michael at Strangelove.com
Mon Nov 7 22:38:59 CET 2016

Thanks Andreas, I am writing about this sort of issue in my forthcoming
text on the future of the Internet. I doubt that the future of the
Internet will amount to a revision to the "gated communities" similar to
the Prodigy/Compuserve era. China, for example, demonstrates that the
nature of network and digital technology, combined with the subversive
will of the user, renders the network of networks inherently
interconnected. Connections between states, markets, platforms and
networks will continue to defy attempts to corral and control users and
content.

"You can imagine a future where content bandwidth demands are so great
that only ISPs hooked up to content owners’ private networks can deliver
the seamless experience users expect." We can also imagine a future were
compression algorithms render size a negligible consideration.

I suspect that every attempt to reduce communicative and productive
freedoms within the Net will be met with sufficient resistance and
creativity from users as well as competition from the market itself.

You can imagine a future where the designs and intents of corporations
and states are continually frustrated by competition within the market,
between states, and a user-generated future of networking. There is more
at work in the design of networks than the will of corporations and states.

Dr. Strangelove