<videovortex> YouTube user-generated contents

Michael Wesch mwesch at k-state.edu
Tue Nov 23 22:49:48 CET 2010

Good points, Jean.  I would also add that this is the percentage of
user-generated videos in the Top 100 daily most-viewed, not the percentage
of videos that people watch that are user-generated.  Given that the "long
tail" of YouTube videos is still mostly user-generated, we might suspect
that the percentage of videos that people watch that are user-generated to
be much higher.  There is no doubt that user-generated content has been
slowly disappearing from the YouTube "Top 100" (in all of its various forms)
over the past 5 years, but this has more to do with YouTube making more
deals with commercial content providers than with any decline in the viewing
of user-generated content.  Considering that the viewership of
user-generated videos is up by approximately "infinity" percent over the
past 10 years, I would hardly call user-generated video a "myth" as Manovich
indicates here.

~ Mike

On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 3:36 PM, Jean Burgess <je.burgess at qut.edu.au> wrote:

>  Interesting.
>
> However it is important to try to understand what the definition of
> “user-generated content” is in the methodology (
> http://www.tubemogul.com/research/report/31). For example, in the provided
> chart UGC is separated out from “YouTube partners” - but this just means
> channels that have been accepted into the YouTube partner program (for ad
> revenue sharing). But a lot of YouTube partners are microbusinesses (if you
> can even call them that) - individual videobloggers who sit somewhere
> between rank amateur and pro-am status – a different definition would count
> much of this material as UGC.
>
> Indeed, these kinds of channels tend to be the most popular over time. That
> is, the videos viewed (or commented on or responded to) most, and
> most-subscribed channels (an important measure of long-term audience
> engagement) are dominated by a mix of videobloggers and (commercial) music
> videos.
>
> http://www.youtube.com/charts
> http://www.youtube.com/charts/users_most_subscribed?t=m
>
> Obviously what you see in the charts linked to above depends heavily on
> what country you’re viewing the YouTube website from (and your location
> settings in the footer).
>
> Jean
>

> --
> Dr Jean Burgess
> Senior Research Fellow, Creative Industries Faculty
> Associate Researcher, ARC Centre of Excellence for Creative Industries &
> Innovation (http://cci.edu.au)
> Queensland University of Technology, Australia
>
> Staff profile: http://staffprofiles.ci.qut.edu.au/jean-burgess
>
> Mapping Online Publics: http://mappingonlinepublics.net
> Digital Storytelling at QUT: http://digitalstorytelling.ci.qut.edu.au
>

> On 24/11/10 6:11 AM, "Vito Campanelli" <info at vitocampanelli.it> wrote:
>
> what percentage of videos people watch on YouTube are user-generated?
> answer: %17
>
> an interesting point by Manovich:
> http://manovich.net/2010/11/23/the-myth-of-user-generated-content/
>

> -----
>
> video vortex discussion list
> artist responses to youtube
>
> to change your settings or unsubscribe, please go to:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Michael Wesch, PhD
Associate Professor of Cultural Anthropology
2010 NITLE Fellow
2009 National Geographic Emerging Explorer
2008 US Professor of the Year
2007 Wired Magazine Rave Award Winner
Director of the Digital Ethnography Working Group
Kansas State University
mwesch at ksu.edu
http://mediatedcultures.net