[WebCultures] WebCultures Digest, Vol 3, Issue 6

Bob Logan logan at physics.utoronto.ca
Tue Sep 2 20:17:06 CEST 2014

Thanks for your clarification, Nachshon. I was speaking metaphorically when I said we live in all times at once in the sense that we have instant access to so much information about historic times. I was paraphrasing McLuhan. I could not find his exact quote but I found the following quote from Marshall's son Eric McLuhan in his article published on www.razonypalabra.org.mx/Eric_McLuhan.pdf entitled The Renaissance Around Us:

"To live at the speed of light is to live mythically-in all times and spaces and cultures at once."

Here is a quote from Understanding Media p. 4 in which Marshall McLuhan developed a similar idea 50 years ago.

We live mythically and integrally... In the electric age ,when our central nervous system is tecnologically extended to involve in the whole of mankind and to incorporate the whole of mankind in us, we necessarily participate... in the consequences of our every action. (1964: p.4)

Bob

Robert K. Logan
Prof. Emeritus - Physics - U. of Toronto
Chief Scientist - sLab at OCAD
http://utoronto.academia.edu/RobertKLogan
www.physics.utoronto.ca/Members/logan